- Updated December 14, 2018
- Posted by: Shannon Ward
The basement is the place of the house that is most affected by mold and dampness and that is because of the high level of air humidity that creates condense. For you to solve this problem and rid your house of mold and mildew, you must resort to the help of a dehumidifier that is powerful enough to capture the excess water moisture. Plus, it needs to be easy to use and convenient so you won’t have to worry that the water will spill when the bucket gets full.
Top 10 Dehumidifiers for Basement Comparison
If dampness and mold appear, consider this Frigidaire entry that does an amazing job in removing the excess water from the air. Along with the water, it also retains mold spores and mites from the air thanks to the integrated filter that can be replaced in order to keep it clean and efficient. It is a top choice for many reasons but mostly due to its quality and the great functioning in removing excess water from the air. In 24h, it can collect 70 pints of water and it can be used in rooms where humidity ranges from 35 to 85%. Additionally, as it can cover wide areas, you needn’t worry it might underperform.
There are 3 water removal options you can go for with it – let the water get drained in the removable bucket, opt for continuous drainage hook up, or purchase a condensation pump. If you go for the manual method, you will be pleased to know that your intervention to empty the bucket won’t be required all that often as the bucket has a hearty 13.1-pint capacity. However, the obvious preferred choice would be for you to turn to continuous drainage as the water would be eliminated into a drain as it is collected.
Ease of Use
You need a device which is easy to understand as you wouldn’t like spending time reading the user manual every time you want to change the settings. Fortunately, this 70-pint dehumidifier provides an intuitive operation as a result of its simplistic, modern design. It features a LED display that is very clear, making it easy to read off it, and where you can view important stats like current indoor humidity due to the built-in hygrometer it comes with. When it comes to setting it up, you will have an easy time as all you have to do is place it in the problem room, plus it in, and select the settings you prefer. There is one maintenance task you will be required to do on occasion, which is cleaning the air filter it features. Luckily, this is an easy task as the filter is easy to remove and you just have to wash it with water, let it dry, and reinsert it.
Mention Worthy Features and Specs
- Full tank alert system lets you know when the collection reservoir approaches its maximum capacity so that you empty it.
- When the collection reservoir is full, it automatically shuts off to prevent overheating and to keep the water from spilling.
- Splash guard it features ensures that the operation of emptying the water bucket will be mess-free.
- Features caster wheels, a top handle, and side handles that make it easy for you to transport it from one room to another.
- Able to operate even in environments where the temperature is as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
Consuming little energy to run, this is one of the most pocket-friendly dehumidification devices you will stumble upon. For its high efficiency, it has even received the sought-after Energy Star certification which is only given to devices and appliances that consume considerably less than their competitors. In addition to consuming little energy to run, more precisely 745 watts, it comes with an important energy saving feature, which is the 24-hour timer. Due to this function, you have full control over its operational span, thus being able to let it run only for how long you consider it to be necessary and not a minute more.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒ Delivers 182 cubic feet per minute air flow on the highest setting|
|⇒ Water container can hold up to 13.1 pints of water|
|⇒ Antibacterial mesh helps clean the air of harmful contaminants|
|⇒ Three fan speeds are put at your disposal|
|⇒ Front pull-out style bucket makes emptying it an easy task|
Able to remove up to 70 pints of moisture from the air and capable of withstanding operation in temperatures down to 41 degrees Fahrenheit, this Frigidaire device makes for the perfect candidate for those who have indoor humid issues. Its Ready-Select controls make it easy to operate, while the 24-hour timer enables you to decide the length of its operation, so there are only advantages to using it.
The area size that it is able to cover is of up to 3000 square feet, so you can confidently rely on the Keystone to provide moisture removal in this area of the house. Considering the fact that it is rated to pull up to 50 pints of humidity per day, no matter how severe the situation is in your specific case, it won’t have problems tackling it properly in order to keep mold and mildew at bay. It measures 10.8 inches in depth, 23.2 inches in height, and 15.4 inches in width, so it won’t take up all that much space. Another important design element is the LED display where it shows indoor temperature and humidity levels through the sensor it features. When it comes to durability, this aspect is confirmed through the length 1-year warranty provided for parts and labor, and the 5-year warranty that backs the sealed system.
It produces a mere 48.8 decibels when it is set on the lowest speed setting, so you needn’t worry it might bother you if you are in its proximity when it runs. As it is rated to remove up to 50 pints of moisture per day, in extreme conditions where indoor humidity levels reach 90%, it can lower them to a healthy 40% in approximately 20 minutes if it is set on the highest speed setting. Speaking of which, it puts 3 operational modes at your disposal, each with its own characteristics – Normal, Turbo, and Auto-Defrost. When you select the Normal mode, it removes moisture at a low speed, while when you opt for Turbo, it performs at its highest speed setting. The third mode we mentioned, Auto-Defrost, enables it to automatically defrost the coils and compressor system in case ice builds up on them to keep the machine up and running for a long time.
Seeing how it is actually certified by Energy Star, there is no real need to explain why this is a budget-smart acquisition to make considering the low power consumption it delivers. It is actually rated to pull only 520 watts of power and 4.7 amps when it runs. It is designed to remove up to 2 L/kWh, thus meeting the necessary standards to qualify as an energy efficient system.
Mention Worthy Features and Specs
- Features an indicator light that has the role of announcing you when the bucket is full.
- Side handles and easy-glide wheels allow you to move it with ease from one room to another.
- Features a water level window that lets you keep an eye on the water level.
- Automatically shuts off when the collection bucket is full to prevent damage like overheating.
- Low temperature operation – withstands temperatures down to 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
Condensate Removal Methods
There are three methods that you can use to get rid of the moisture it collects when operating – manually, continuously, and through the addition of an external drain pump. With the manual option, you will be required to remove the collection bucket and empty it when it gets filled, the device retaking its operation once you insert the empty receptacle inside it. If you want to opt for continuous condensate removal, you must attach a 5/16 drain hose to it for gravity draining to be possible. The hose is not included, but it is worth buying as it delivers a more convenient operation of the machine. Lastly, there is the external drain pump option that you attach to the system, and let the water collected inside automatically go in a sink, drain, bucket, or another location of your choice.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Suitable for spaces of up to 3000 square feet||⇒Other entries on our list are able to remove a larger amount of moisture from the air over a 24-hour period of time|
|⇒Comes with a removable and washable dust filter – even features a clean-filter alert that lets you know when maintenance work on it is due|
|⇒When the collection reservoir is full, an alarm goes off and it automatically shuts off until you empty it|
|⇒Features caster wheels which make moving it an easy task|
A product that can handle even the dampest spaces, this 50-pint model from Keystone is one of our favorite selections on the market due to its feature-rich profile, portability, and low power consumption. Add to its long list of pros the fact that it comes at a rather reasonable price, and you have yourself an offer you cannot refuse.
This model is great for adjusting the air humidity because it is very powerful and easy to use. The maximum amount of water it can collect in 24h is 70 pints and it comes with a very large 16.2-pints bucket. It can run continuously for 24 hours and you won’t have to empty its bucket if you choose the pump setting that automatically evacuates the water out through a hose. It comes with a humidistat that lets you set the humidity level you want to reach but it also displays the actual level of humidity in the room at the time. It detects humidity levels ranging from 30 to 90% and it uses its powerful motor to remove excess moisture. The humidistat is highly accurate so you can trust its readings and it is guaranteed that it will bring the moisture to a more proper level. There is a programmable timer available to allow you to set the working periods in 1-hour increments for 24 hours. We must mention that the D70BP is not the quietest model out there and it might seem disturbing to have it running close to you.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Removable condensate bucket can hold up a maximum of 16 pints of moisture||⇒Only allows you to choose between two operational fan speeds|
|⇒Energy Star certification guarantees a low energy consumption operation|
|⇒Allows you to set the desired humidity anywhere between 30% and 90%|
|⇒Power cord measures 6 feet, allowing you to place it wherever you please|
The only flaw of this moisture removing appliance is the fact that it puts only 2 fan speeds at your disposal, so this should be more than enough proof of its quality performance-wise. The main highlights of the product are definitely the 70-pint per day moisture removal capacity, and the 24-hour timer that allows an energy efficient operation, but there are more features to be enjoyed with it other than these two.
When facing mold problems, this is one of the best options to resort to. It can collect 70 pints of water or 8 gallons in 24 hours of continuous operating. Thanks to the integrated pump, you will not have to worry about the bucket getting filled with water and spilling over. The pump is powerful enough to throw the water upward through the 16-foot long hose. However, the bucket is transparent so you can easily throw an eye and see how much water it has absorbed. With the humidistat it comes with, the DD70PE knows when to turn on and off according to the level of air moisture. It also monitors the room temperature and it can successfully operate in cold rooms due to the auto defrost system that prevents ice buildup. While lowering air humidity, the filter also collects mites and spores from the air to ensure a cleaner and safer living environment. You can always use the timer and set it to work certain hours so you can create a schedule and limit its working hours. All these settings can be made by accessing the electronic control panel that clearly displays all the necessary information.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Features the Eco-conscious R410A refrigerant that helps make it energy efficient||⇒It is a bit more expensive|
|⇒Energy Star rated for its low power consumption during the operation|
|⇒Water reservoir can hold up a maximum of 6 liters of moisture|
|⇒LCD panel makes it possible to set it up in a matter of minutes|
|⇒You have 3 water disposal methods to choose between|
It might be on the expensive side, but this is more than understandable considering the performance it puts at your disposal. With it, the cellar is sure to transform into a habitable area as up to 70 pints of moisture are removed from the air per day, and the 6-liter capacity water collection bucket endorses convenience in use.
Manufactured by one of the leading companies on its market, this 70-pint capacity moisture removing device is exactly what you need to fix the dampness problems. The wide 4500 square feet area coverage it boasts enables it to be a great addition to larger homes as well. For your convenience and to save on energy costs, it features a built-in timer which you can set for up to 24 hours. Additionally, if you want to enjoy a completely hassle-free operation of this moisture removing device, you can take up the continuous drainage option by purchasing the optional hose. If you do not want to spend any extra cash at all, know that it actually features a quite large 1.3-gallon water reservoir which ensures you won’t be spending all of your time monitoring it to see if it is full or not. As it is designed by a responsible company, it obviously boasts an Eco-friendly design that is accentuated by the “green” functions and features it comes with – cleanable filter, automatic shut-off, and the aforementioned built-in timer. Easy to use and performing at its peak at all times, it is a product we are sure you will love using and strongly recommend.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Recommended for use in spaces of up to 4500 square feet||⇒Some customers have complained about the noise level when it is set on the highest speed setting|
|⇒6-foot long power cord allows you to place it anywhere you want in the room|
|⇒Removable tank can hold up a maximum of 1.3 gallons of moisture|
|⇒Automatic safety shut-off activates when the reservoir is full|
|⇒After a power outage, it automatically restarts with your selected settings|
Easy to use and able to remove large quantity of moisture per day from the air, this device makes for a great addition to a damp, humid space. It can hold up 1.3 gallons of water until the bucket needs to be emptied, and you need not worry about safety as it automatically shuts off when the bucket gets filled.
Although there are two other models besides this one in terms of size and dehumidification capacity, more precisely a 4-gallon and a 6-gallon model, we will focus on this one here as it is the most appropriate one. What recommends it is the capability of handling areas of up to 4000 square feet, as well as its spectacular 70-pint moisture removal capacity over a 24-hour time span. Another aspect which makes it great for use is the fact that it can tackle temperatures as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit, so the cold environment in this area of the house will not present an issue for it. You need not worry about operating it as it features a touch control panel that makes it incredibly easy to use. It uses a washable filter that is easy to clean and which spares you of additional costs when maintenance work is due. For your convenience, it is designed to be easy to move from one spot to another, the features which endorse this being the built-in wheels and the two handles. Furthermore, it weighs only 40 pounds, so you won’t break your back during the commute either.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Washable filter ensures no additional costs are required when maintenance work is due|
|⇒Energy Star rated for its efficiency in terms of power consumption|
|⇒Can handle operating in environments where there are temperatures as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit|
|⇒Allows you to customize humidity as you like as long as it ranges from 35 to 85 percent|
An Energy Star certified dehumidification appliance you needs is this one from hOmeLabs. Not only does it effortlessly tackle areas of up to 4000 square feet, but it can remove as much as 70 pints of moisture per day, so regardless of how high moisture levels are, it will reduce them without any effort.
As the basement is usually quite a large space where humidity rises quick and the temperature is generally low, you need to rely on a dehumidifier that can handle the load. Fortunately, this Danby selection is more than capable of grasping the situation as it is designed for use in spaces of up to 4500 square feet, where it tends to eliminate approximately 70 pints of moisture per day. Of course, it is not damaged by the environmental conditions as it can handle operating even when the temperature is as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Two of its most appealing traits are the direct-drain system which eliminates the need for you to personally empty the water reservoir as the water is directly eliminated as it gets collected, and the automatic de-icing that ensures a long lifespan of the product seeing how the coils always stay ice-free. Another great feature is the full tank indicator that lets you know the time has come to empty the tank in case you did not opt for continuous drainage. It boasts a portable design, and its touch controls ensure an easy operation. Furthermore, the company which produces it offers a lengthy 2-year warranty on the product.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Wide area coverage of up to 4500 square feet||⇒Not the cheapest acquisition you could make|
|⇒Can operate even when the temperatures drop as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit|
|⇒Full tank indicator light lets you know when it’s time to empty the water collected|
|⇒There are 2 fan speeds that you can select between|
Able to operate even when the temperatures are extremely low, it is a great choice for a damp and cold space. With 2 operating speeds and the ability to cover wide areas of up to 4500 square feet, you can depend on it to normalize humidity levels indoors in no time.
Another great choice for adjusting the air humidity is this silent device from GE that can remove 70 pints of water over 24 hours of continuous moisture removal. The bucket can store 17.5 pints of water before needing to be emptied and it also features a continuous drain option that comes in handy given that you won’t sit near it and watch it get filled with water. In addition, it comes with a full bucket indicator and a shut-off feature that prevent the water from spilling. Thanks to the washable filter, you can be certain that it will also clean the air from impurities and you won’t have to replace it since you can wash and reuse it. Moreover, it will let you know when it is time to clean the filter through a light indicator located on the control panel. Given that the temperature can often drop, it is good to know that the APEL70LT includes an automatic defrost feature that makes it suitable for use in cold rooms. What it lacks is a programmable timer.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Features the R410A refrigerant which enables an energy efficient operation||⇒A bit noisy when set on the highest operating speed|
|⇒Bucket can hold up a maximum of 17.5 pints of liquid|
|⇒195 cubic feet per minute dry airflow rate when set on the highest setting|
|⇒Puts 3 different speed selections at your disposal|
|⇒Indicator lamp announces you when the bucket needs to be emptied|
Although it tends to get noisy sometimes, its efficiency when it comes to removing excess moisture from cold and damp environments makes it worth your money. Furthermore, it is reasonably priced as opposed to most entries in this market, so it will be more easily accessible to a wider range of customers.
Danby Arctic Aire ADR70B1G
If you requires a heavy-duty dehumidifier that will be able to handle excessive humidity levels, the Aire ADR70B1G is a great choice. It can handle rooms that measure up to 4,500 sq. ft. so you can use it in very large basements, garages, or workplaces. It can remove 70 pints of water per day but Danby also provides the 30-pint and 50-pint versions in case you need a smaller capacity. It is equipped with everything it needs for extended operating: it has a built-in drain system that evacuates the water in case you cannot empty the bucket yourself, it features a defrost cycle that enables it to operate in low temperatures usually found in cold cellars and garages, and it can be programmed to operate for certain time intervals. All you have to do is set the humidistat and it will run until the air will reach the set humidity level. In addition, it includes an Auto-Restart feature that resumes it operating in case the power goes off. For increased performance, there is also an air filter included for eliminating mold spores and bacteria from the air. It is covered by a 2-year warranty.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒Can cover an area of up to 4500 square feet||⇒Not the cheapest product in its niche|
|⇒Features a removable air filter that enhances indoor air quality|
|⇒Automatic restart with pre-selected settings when the power comes back in case of a power outage|
|⇒Full bucket indicator tells you when emptying the recipient is needed|
|⇒Backed by a lengthy 2-year warranty|
Quite discrete in its operation and intuitive to use due to its user-friendly design, we strongly recommend it. It might not be the cheapest, but it can remove a hearty load of moisture from the air per day, so it is a great option to go with.
Tosot 70 Pint 4500 Sq. Ft.
One of the most affordable options you could go for, the Tosot can handle an area coverage of up to 4500 square feet regardless of how humid or cold it is. As a matter of fact, it is able to remove up to 70 pints of moisture per day, which means that you will enjoy normal humidity levels indoors in no time. It features a LED display with touch controls that make it easy to use. On the display, you can learn useful info regarding current room readouts of humidity levels. The built-in humidistat allows you to choose the humidity you want to be reached, ranging from 35 to 80 percent. It is an Energy Star certified device which does not consume much electricity to run, so you won’t end up paying a ton of money when the bills come. It can operate in spaces where the temperature ranges from 41 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.it has an 8-pint water reservoir, and when this reservoir gets filled, it automatically stops functioning to prevent spillage. The automatic defrost control ensures the evaporative coils are kept safe throughout the entire duration of its operation, no matter how cold it is in the room. Furthermore, it is backed by a 1-year warranty on parts and labor by the manufacturing company.
|What We Like||What We Dislike|
|⇒ Automatic defrost control keeps the evaporative coils safe, prolonging the lifespan of the device||⇒ Short 1-year warranty|
|⇒ When the 8-pint reservoir gets filled, the machine automatically turns off|
|⇒ Can operate in spaces where the temperature ranges from 41 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit|
|⇒ Comes at an affordable price|
|⇒ You can set the humidity as you like – range from 35% to 80%|
Able to operate in environments where the temperature is cold, and capable of covering up to 4500 square feet, removing as much as 70 pints of moisture per day if there are really damp conditions, it is one of our top recommendations to those who are on a budget.
Noteworthy Details You Should Be Aware Of
Have you ever wondered what is the difference between a cellar dehumidifier and a conventional one that can be used in your bedroom? The cellar type is simply a portable device which comes equipped with various features and functions in order to operate more efficiently in a basement. The converse of the statement that it cannot work as well above ground as it does below ground, is not true, however. Most units that work well above ground are equipped with a plethora of features, so they are able to handle environmental variables unique to a basement, most notably colder temperatures. Nowadays, they are the best solution for removing mildew odor and prevent mold from growing. Low-temperature dehumidifiers are perfect for cooler climates, as they will continue to draw moist at lower temperatures. Therefore, if you have an extremely large cellar, it is good to know that there are numerous devices that have been tested for reliability and effectiveness, especially at low temperatures.
Moisture Removal Device Buying Guide
Like many other devices, dehumidifiers come in all shapes, sizes, and types, making it hard for customers to pick the right one. To narrow down their options to the best models, people need to know which are the aspects that really matter.
Unlike room dehumidifiers, the basement type is larger because it needs to rely on a larger motor with a higher suction power. When choosing one, you must read its specifications to be certain that it is large enough to handle the large area. Different models are designed for different room sizes that can reach 2,000 sq. ft. This will guarantee that it will be able to absorb the humidity from the entire room, regardless of how big it is.
Given that space is larger, the amount of water absorbed from the air is also larger so the device should have a bigger capacity. Cellar dehumidifiers have a large water container that can absorb up to 100 pints of water per day. An efficient model should have a capacity of around 70 pints in order to provide the expected results.
Having to remove so much water from the air on a daily basis means that the water container will be filled very fast and should be emptied as fast. If this involves you checking on it every couple of hours, it will seem cumbersome to use. Therefore, it must include a drain pump that will empty the water on its own whenever the container is filled.
If features like quiet operating or a stylish design are not important, some other features are essential and increase its convenience and performance. A shut-off feature that will turn it on when needed or a humidistat to control air moisture will come in handy and minimize maintenance.
Alternative Excess Humidity Prevention Methods
Until you round up the money to get yourself a moisture removal appliance for this particularly problematic area of the house, or if you simply want to aid the device you bought by controlling humidity through extra means, you should take up the alternative methods we present here.
Control from the inside:
- Repair leaks in house: The most common indoor moisture issues are caused by plumbing problems and leaks, so you must inspect and repair leaky toilets, pipes, fixtures, and all plumbing for that matter to ensure moisture won’t drip into the cellar and create excessive dampness.
- Seal ductwork leaks: Ducts have the role of carrying cold and warm air around the house, but in this specific area they can potentially crease humidity if there are leaks present which allow moist air to seep out. Evidently, if you do spot any leaks, you must seal them immediately.
- Dryer vent: A huge amount of moisture is produced by the dryer, and to prevent the wetness it produces from becoming an issue, you must install a vent to direct the moisture produced outside.
- Exhaust fans: Remember to always run exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom when performing certain tasks. Run the fans in the kitchen when you cook to get rid of the vapors which form, and run them in the bathroom when you shower or bathe.
Control from the outside:
- Maintain the sump pump: Regular inspection and maintenance for the sump pump can spare you a lot of trouble as its purpose is to collect water from around the foundation, keeping your home protected from flooding, potential structural instability, and high humidity.
- Clean the gutters: External water is very dangerous, and the role of the gutters is to collect it and move it away from the house. For them to work properly, however, regular cleaning and clearing of debris is required, so make sure that you tend to this task.
- Fix the foundation: Openings in the foundation are troublesome for the cellar as moisture enters through them. Regardless if you buy the needed materials for the repair of the leaks and holes or if you call in an expert for the job, you have to tend to these issues immediately as they pose a great threat.
- Waterproof the walls: Generally, foundation material is porous, which means that water can easily seep in the basement through it. Thus, to safeguard against high humidity, you can coat the walls with a waterproof material.
- Put up a plastic barrier: If your basement has a dirt floor, you must immediately cover it with 6mm plastic sheets to prevent water vapor from entering through the soil.
- Increase ventilation: On non-humid days, you can increase ventilation in this part of the house by running fans, using exhaust vents, or even opening the windows to increase air flow and prevent condensation as much as possible.
- Close windows when humidity is high outside: When the relative humidity outdoors exceeds 50-60%, close the windows in the basement to prevent the humid air from entering and condensation from forming. Generally, you need to do this during spring and summer as these are the seasons when humidity is at its highest.
- Insulate cold water pipes: A common place for condensation to form, cold water pipes are the usual suspect as they are cooler than their surrounding area. What you must do is buy pipe insulation and wrap the pipes with it to prevent moisture from collecting on them.
- Extra insulation for exterior walls: If the walls are warm, condensation won’t form on them, which means that you should insulate the exterior walls. However, make sure that you do this only after addressing leaks and water entrances from the outside as, otherwise, you risk trapping water behind the insulation, which will inevitably lead to mold growth/.
How We Tested
Moisture removing performance
To test and see if our picks are as great as their manufacturers say they are when it comes to moisture removal, we used each of them in a highly damp basement to see if they can handle lowering humidity levels and how effective and efficient they are at this procedure as well. Each product was left to run its operation for 24 hours in order to fairly rate its performance.
Emptying the tank
To establish how easy or hard it is to empty the tank, we took it upon ourselves to do this procedure, having a first-hand experience with how the tank is removed, emptied, and then put back in its rightful place.
In order to test and see exactly how much noise each device outputs when it operates, we turned them on and placed a decibel meter approximately 1 foot away. We compared readings to each other and to the output that pother household appliances deliver in order to figure out if they would become a nuisance if you were to sit in the same area with any of our dehumidifiers.
Ease of use
When we tested how convenient and easy to use each product is, we took several factors into consideration. We tested to see how easy it ease to clean and maintain them as these are procedures that must be done on a regular basis, how intuitive the settings put at your disposal are, and how easy it is to relocate the devices whenever needed, thus taking design into consideration as well.
|Product||Moisture removing performance||Emptying the tank||Noise level||Ease of use|
|Overall score: 10/10|
|Overall score: 9.3/10|
|Overall score: 9.3/10|
|Overall score: 9/10|
|Overall score: 9.3/10|
|Overall score: 9.5/10|
|Overall score: 9/10|
|Overall score: 9.5/10|
|Overall score: 9/10|
|70 Pint 4500 Sq Ft||10/10||8/10||8/10||9/10|
|Overall score: 8.8/10|
The Risks of High Humidity
Since basements are not actual living spaces, many people overlook the problem of a high humidity level because they are not aware of the dangers it implies. Although you do not get in direct contact with the air for long periods of time, it can still affect your life and you are at risk of suffering on multiple levels. As such, you must monitor and adjust humidity at all times if you want to avoid the following risks involved.
Major health problems
It is true that you rarely go in the cellar and that you spend little time there but this does not mean that the mold spores in the air cannot travel throughout your entire house. If it becomes a thriving environment for fungus and bacteria, the air rapidly spreads around the house, causing major health issues like allergies, asthma, or other respiratory problems.
Weakening of your house’s construction
Since it is located at the bottom of your house, allowing humidity and mold to get inside the walls can lead to damaging the structure and stability of your house. As such, if you want to avoid further damage that can have severe consequences, you must not allow mold spores to take over the room. With humidity starting from beneath, it won’t be long until your entire house will be affected by mold and mildew.
Damage to your belongings
This area of the house usually has a storage purpose, being the perfect place for keeping items you use occasionally and that you want out of your way. Keeping them in improper conditions can lead to irreparable damage so you should focus on adjusting the humidity level between 30 and 50%. If you have also designed a recreational space here, you have even more reasons to find a solution to high air moisture that can affect the aspect and lifespan of your belongings.
Why Should You Use an Odor Absorber
The basement is a problematic area of the house because it is not a living space and the conditions are not optimal for developing a clean and safe environment. The constant humidity, depositing all sorts of items, and poor ventilation can lead to an unpleasant musty smell that can soon become hard to get rid of. Once the heavy smell of dull air, moisture, and mold starts to take over, it is up to you to find the most effective odor absorber.
- Odor eliminators are products that contain natural minerals with odor-absorbing powers that can neutralize all sorts of bad smells from garbage, pet urine, smoke, mold, and mildew. Gonzo odor eliminator, for example, is a product that consists of volcanic minerals that are electrically charged to act as a magnet that attracts and retains odor particles from the air. The minerals are 100% safe and chemical-free so that they do not affect your health and are not dangerous for pets or children.
- The main advantage of the absorber is that it naturally repels airborne odors without the help of artificial fragrances that would only mask odors without actually removing them. Odor absorbers are environmentally friendly and they do not release any impurities into the air.
- Another great benefit of using this product is the fact that it is reusable and rechargeable, being able to last for up to 2 years. One bag is powerful enough to remove odors for 30 days and after this period, all you will have to do is leave it outdoors in direct sunlight to allow the volcanic rocks to recharge and get ready to reabsorb odors. Nonetheless, this is the most effective and easy to use method of refreshing the room and solving the musty odor problem.
Rating Criteria Explained
|Peak capability to remove moisture||This criteria refers to the maximum amount of moisture the device is capable to remove over a 24-hour timespan. Evidently, models that are able to remove a higher amount of moisture are bound to receive a better rating.||Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, Friedrich D70BP, DeLonghi DD70PE, Ivation IVALDH70PW, hOmeLabs HME020031N, Danby DDR070BDWDB, GE APEL70LT, Danby Arctic Aire ADR70B1G, Tosot 70 Pint Sq Ft|
|Maximum area it can cover||It is important for the device to be able to handle dehumidifying as large of an area as possible as the basement is generally a wide area. If it is not designed to handle the specific size of the area you place it in, it will underperform.||Ivation IVALDH70PW, Danby DDR070BDEDB, Danby Arctic Aire ADR70B1G, Tosot 70 Pint 4500 Sq Ft|
|Timer feature||This feature comes in handy as it lets you select the precise amount of time for which you would like the device to run, thus helping save on energy costs as you limit the machine’s operation.||Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, Friedrich D70BP, Keystone KSTAD50B, DeLonghi DD70PE, Ivation IVALDH70PW, hOmeLabs HME020031N, Danby DDR070BDWDB, GE APEL70LT, Danby Arctic Aire ADR70B1G, Tosot 70 Pint Sq Ft|
|Low-temperature operation||The cellar tends to be colder than the rest of the house due to its positioning, temperatures sometimes going under 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Thus, we had to make sure for our selections to be able to handle operating in cold environments.||Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, Friedrich D70BP, Keystone KSTAD50B, DeLonghi DD70PE, Ivation IVALDH70PW, hOmeLabs HME020031N, Danby DDR070BDWDB, GE APEL70LT, Danby Arctic Aire ADR70B1G, Tosot 70 Pint Sq Ft|
|Energy Star certification||The presence of the Energy Star certification indicates that the device consumes considerably less energy to run when compared to most of the products in its niche. Obviously, we rated products that came with this certification higher as they help save money in the long run.||Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, Friedrich D70BP, Keystone KSTAD50B, DeLonghi DD70PE, hOmeLabs HME020031N, Tosot 70 Pint Sq Ft|
|Automatic shut-off||When the water tank is full, the device will automatically shut off to prevent overheating. Seeing how it is likely for you to not be able to empty the tank at the appropriate moment all the time, this is a feature that comes in handy and helps prolong the lifespan of the product.||Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, Keystone KSTAD50B, Ivation IVALDH70PW, GE APEL70LT|
|Automatic defrost||Seeing how you intend to place it in an area of the house that tends to be quite cold, it is in your best interest for the device to come with this feature as it helps prevent frost build-up on the coils, thus prolonging the lifespan of your acquisition.||Keystone KSTAD50B, Friedrich D70BP, Ivation IVALDH70PW, hOmeLabs HME020031N, Danby DDR070BDWDB, GE APEL70LT|
- ✔”I only hear the fan when it runs, the compressor barely makes any noise, I really like this part.”
- ✔”The handles really make it easy for me to move it around, I really like them as I’ve been constantly changing the room’s décor for a while now.”
- ✔”Spent a lot of time doing research, and I’m not disappointed with the decision I made, this is indeed a reliable dehumidifier.”
- ✘”Poor sensor placement, I really don’t like this design issue.”
- ✔”No drips, leaks, or spills in the past 8 months since I have been using it.”
- ✔”It’s really easy to program and use, my grandparents love it.”
- ✔”Automatic discharge feature does its job well, there has never been ice buildup on the coils.”
- ✘”It’s not silent, so you have to take this aspect into consideration if you turned the basement into a living area.”
- ✔”I really like the temperature and humidity readout it provides, I’m always aware of the indoor conditions.”
- ✔”I love the pump function, it spares me of a lot of work.”
- ✔”I have a really large basement, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it can actually handle lowering moisture it in effectively without extra help.”
- ✘”It cycles way too often, doesn’t wait for the humidity level to increase all that much. It gets quite annoying if you have a workspace in the basement like I do.”
- ✔”Humidity in my basement was at 70% before I ran it, and in just a day it went down to 49%, a really big step-up.”
- ✔”The fan isn’t loud or obtrusive, I really like this as I made a little office of my own downstairs.”
- ✔”We were finally able to use the basement as a family room since we have it, no more musty smells lingering in the air.”
- ✘”I keep having issues with the pump, it just goes out and won’t continue to drain the water as it should.”
- ✔”I am very pleased with the value for money, at first I thought it might not be all that great, but since I started running it mold hasn’t reappeared.”
- ✔”It keeps moisture levels exactly where I want them all summer long, at 44%.”
- ✔”I am very pleased with its performance, and the design doesn’t hurt either.”
- ✘”It might do the job well, but it is unreasonably loud.”
- ✔”It runs flawlessly, haven’t had any issue with it for 6 months now.”
- ✔”Moisture levels have really went down, I can feel the difference.”
- ✔”I empty it about once per week, and running it was an easy task for me since day 1. Really like the intuitive design and operation.”
- ✘”The plastic base is attached to it, and since mine broke I can’t replace it so I have to replace the device entirely. Really poorly thought out design.”
- ✔”I strongly recommend it to anyone dealing with damp air indoors, it makes a big difference as soon as it is turned on.”
- ✔”Even on the highest setting it stays virtually silent.”
- ✔”I really enjoy the timer feature, makes it a lot more convenient to run the device.”
- ✘”The water reservoir is really small, needs to be emptied annoyingly often.”
- ✔”I bought it on a whim, but I’m really satisfied with it, hasn’t disappointed me at all.”
- ✔”Works really well, I had humidity as high as 75% before installing it, but now it is at a constant 50%.”
- ✔”Took down humidity levels about 15% in only 3 hours, really impressive!”
- ✘”Not the longest lifespan, that’s all I can say. After a year or so it stopped pulling moisture properly, was shocked by this outcome.”
- ✔”Turns off on its own when the tank fills, I don’t have to check it once every 5-6 hours like I did with the last one I had.”
- ✔”It’s more than enough for my basement’s size and humidity issues, great from a financial point of view.”
- ✔”It stays so quiet, this aspect really impressed me.”
- ✘”I kind of went wrong with this purchase, my basement is larger than it can handle, and it’s obvious that humidity levels haven’t gone all that down.”
- ✔”It was easy to set it up to run continuously, I can’t complain about it at all.”
- ✔”Even on high it stays quiet, can’t get over how silent it is.”
- ✔”The timer feature truly comes in handy, my utility costs haven’t gone up all that much since I use it due to this feature.”
- ✘”I’m having trouble with the readout, it stops at about 50%.”
F.A.Q. Why is it necessary to place a dehumidifier in the basement?
From its construction, the basement is a damp and humid space as ventilation is not as great in it as it is in the rest of the house and because it is situated at a lower level. Thus, there is a dependency on the dehumidifying device in order to ensure humidity does not exceed safe, healthy levels.
Does the moisture removing appliance help make the basement a habitable area?
Yes, due to the fact that it lowers moisture levels, the dehumidifier makes the basement habitable. As high humidity settles in this area, mold and mildew inevitably appear. These fungi present a great threat to your health, especially if you suffer from asthma or allergies, so you must do your best to preserve healthy moisture levels if you intend to use the basement as an extra room.
Does the continuous drain option make a difference?
What makes the continuous drain option so desirable is the fact that it eliminates an annoying requirement – you will not have to empty the water reservoir anymore when it gets filled, as the water is eliminated in a drain or outside the house through a window, depending on the location you choose for the water to be transported to. Thus, you will be required to do a lot less maintenance work.
Should I look into the operating temperature of the appliance?
Yes, seeing how you intend to place the moisture removing appliance in the basement, it is necessary to look into this spec. otherwise, you risk making a useless investment as the appliance will not be able to operate at all times, stopping or malfunctioning when temperatures drop below a certain point. Seeing how this is an often occurrence in the basement, it is important to make sure the dehumidifier can handle low temperatures without a problem.
What is the normal humidity level for a basement?
Just like in any other room or space, you should keep a relative humidity level of approximately 50 percent for mold and mildew to not make an appearance and ultimately make this area of the house inhabitable and dangerous for your health to be in it.
As it is a naturally damp space in which mold and mildew will thrive uncontrollably if you do not take any action toward establishing and maintaining a decent humidity level, the need for a dehumidifying device is understandable. Our favorite product, by far, is the Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 which handles removing up to 70 pints of moisture per day. Not only this, but it comes with numerous convenient features, including the 24-hour built-in timer that helps control utility bills, and the Ready-Select controls which provide an intuitive use of the device.
Another selection we consider you should revisit and think about purchasing is the Friedrich D70BP which features automatic defrost in order to keep the coils safe and prolong the lifespan of the appliance. Furthermore, it allows for continuous drainage and is capable of removing up to 70 pints of moisture per day. However, if pricing is a big concern for you, we would instruct you to invest in the Ivation IVALDH70PW as it comes at a cheap price, yet still delivers a surprisingly qualitative performance as it removes up to 70 pints of moisture over a 24-hour period.