- Updated April 11, 2019
- Posted by: Shannon Ward
Moisture can cause serious problems in any home, and this is why it is highly recommended to get a dehumidifying device to tackle the issue at hand. To make sure you will obtain the desired result, you need to purchase a good product. Therefore, in order to make the right choice, take your inspiration from the following examples.
Top 12 Bathroom Dehumidifiers Comparison
1. Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control
Although a bit expensive for a model in its size category, the Frigidaire is worth every cent as it performs beyond your wildest expectations. As suggested by its name, it is able to remove up to 30 pints of moisture per day, which is more than enough for mild, damp spaces where high humidity is an issue. Of course, we cannot go on without covering the energy efficiency aspect of the appliance as it has even received the sought-after Energy Star certification for its performance in this department, being rated at a power draw of 320 watts. Thus, the slightly negative aspect of the high initial investment is counter-balanced by its low power consumption, and as time passes you will actually end up saving money as a result of making the purchase.
Full control over indoor humidity is what this appliance offers, allowing you to adjust the level of moisture to be reached as you please. The relative humidity range that you can set for the environment where the appliance is placed in is from 35% to 85%, but you will most likely opt for the 45% to 55% range as this is the healthy humidity level for an indoor space to have.
It collects up to 30 pints of moisture per day, but where does the collected moisture go exactly? Well, there are two options you can pick between, more precisely to use the collection reservoir of the appliance, or to opt for continuous drainage. The collection reservoir can hold up to 7.6 pints of moisture per day, which means that if it is placed in a reasonably humid space, you will probably only have to empty it once every few days. However, this can still be seen as an inconvenient as you have to tend to a regular chore. If you do opt for continuous drainage, this issue will be eliminated altogether as the hose you connect to the drain outlet of the dehumidifying appliance will lead the collected moisture to the water disposal location you have chosen.
Mention Worthy Features and Specs
- It automatically shuts off when the collection reservoir is full to prevent the water from spilling.
- Features a removable and washable mesh filter which helps reduce room odors, airborne particles, and bacteria to ensure a healthier living environment.
- When the collection reservoir is near its full capacity, an alert will sound off to announce you that it’s time to discard of it.
- Able to operate in spaces where the temperature is as low as 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ready-Select controls provide an easy manner to select the exact options you desire, thus boasting a user-friendly interface.
Portability is an issue you are most likely concerned about, especially if high humidity is a problem in more than one room in your home as you will have to move it from one location to another quite often. From this point of view, this Frigidaire model excels as it measures 20.5 inches in height, 13-13/16 inches in width, and 10.5 inches in depth, and weighs only 34 pounds, thus being easy to move as it is. Furthermore, it features side handles, a top handle, and caster wheels which all add to its mobility, making it a cinch to move the appliance as you please.
What We Like
- Energy efficient despite its size class – surpasses what most competitors offer in terms of energy consumption
- Quiet operation – the low noise output it boasts makes it ideal even for the nursery or bedroom
- Feature-rich – delivers just as many features as more expensive, bigger class models do
- Lightweight design – it is easily portable, so you will have no problem moving it from one room to another
There is no competition for this Frigidaire model as it truly surpasses all of your expectations. Small in size but fierce in terms of features and functionality, it is indeed an investment you cannot skip on as it performs at an unbelievable peak at all times, keeping moisture levels in check with ease.
2. Keystone KSTAD50B Energy Star 50-Pint
One of the best brands to produce moisture reducing devices, Keystone impresses once again with this 50-pint capacity model. In addition to boasting impressive stats in regards to its performance effectiveness, it is one of the best selections in terms of energy efficiency. As a matter of fact, it is certified by Energy Star for its low power consumption, so you can confidently run it without fearing that you will end up paying a load of money when the bills come. One of the features that makes it so efficient is the 24-hour timer that not only enables you to run it for as long as needed and not an hour more, but that facilitates its operation as you can set a specific schedule and forget about tending to it. Add to this convenient feature the fact that you can opt for continuous draining with the separate purchase of a hose, and you have one of the most reliable dehumidification devices out there on your hands.
As previously stated, it is capable of removing up to 50 pints of moisture per day. Thus, regardless of how high humidity issues are, it will tackle them effortlessly. Add to this proficiency the fact that it can cover areas as large as 3000 square feet, and the sky is basically the limit when it comes to its usability. As it is able to operate in low-temperature conditions, you won’t be limited to using it only in the bathroom or another habitable room, but you will even be able to place it in the basement, for example, without worrying that its moisture removal efficiency will drop or that its internal parts – the coils – will be damaged.
Display and Settings
Convenience in use and modern design are a must at this point as we have grown accustomed to simplicity and rapid operation, and this product delivers on both sides. It features a clear LED display with electronic controls that are easy to manipulate, allowing you to select the desired settings without any headaches. There are two speed settings you can choose between, more precisely Normal and Turbo, producing approximately 48.8 decibels on the low setting and 51.9 decibels on the high setting. On the display, you can also view the current humidity level indoors thanks to the built-in hygrometer it features. Of course, you have your pick when it comes to the humidity level you want to be reached indoors, having to only select the level you desire with the intuitive controls put at your disposal.
Mention Worthy Features and Specs
- In a maximum humidity environment, it only draws approximately 530 watts to run, meaning that it is one of the most energy efficient selections on its market.
- Automatic defrost function automatically removes frost as it builds up to protect the evaporator coils and ensure the compressor system won’t be damaged.
- Automatic restart function saves your selected settings in the event of a power outage.
- You can effortlessly monitor the amount of water collected in the reservoir thanks to the water level indicator it features.
- Sends off an alert when the time comes to clean the filter.
We cannot talk about portability without covering the design, and thankfully, this Keystone product is one of the more compact and easy to move around selections on the market. It measures 23 inches in height, 15 inches in width, and 12 inches in depth, so it doesn’t take up a lot of space and you will find it easy to maneuver it. Another important design element to cover is its weight, which is only 36.3 pounds, thus enabling you to move it on your own. But portability isn’t granted without some extra features, and the KSTAD50B provides all the needed traits to make it easy to maneuver as it features caster wheels that allow you to push it gently in order to change its location.
What We Like
- Best price-quality ratio – reasonable pricing considering its capabilities
- Energy efficient – consumes little energy to run, so your bills will not rise because of it
- Features defrost mode – allows you to even use it in extremely low temperature conditions
- Easily portable – the lightweight construction it boasts makes it easy for you to change its placement
What We Dislike
- Relatively small water tank – you must empty it often
- A bit noisier than other models
There is no other 50-pint dehumidification appliance to top this Keystone entry. Lightweight and delivering top-quality performance each and every day regardless of the usual humidity of the space you place it in, it is a great purchase to go with and we strongly recommend it.
3. hOmeLabs HME020030N
Although your main focus is reducing humidity levels in the bathroom, you have to consider that at one point other areas in your home will have similar issues. When this does happen, if the dehumidifying appliance you already own cannot handle the situation, you are faced with making a new purchase. You can eliminate the possibility of this event by using the hOmeLabs, a device which can tackle removing up to 30 pints of moisture per day even when put in areas as large as 1000 square feet. In terms of ease of use, it is a dream to work with as it features an intuitive touch control panel, and in the event of a power outage, when the power does come back, it automatically restarts with the settings you selected prior to the incident. The 24-hour timer ensures versatility in use as you can either opt for continuous 24/7 moisture removal or select a precise operational schedule which you view as being sufficient for your needs. As it can handle working in environments as cold as 41 degrees Fahrenheit, there is no need to worry about its integrity in regards to the temperature in the room. It allows continuous drainage, meaning that you won’t have to tend to empty the water container on your own. However, if you are not interested in this option, there is no need to fret having to empty it too often as the 0.8-gallon capacity of the tank ensures no unwanted situations will arise.
What We Like
- It allows you to customize indoor humidity to your liking, the selectable level ranging from 35 to 85 percent
- As it can handle areas of up to 1000 square feet, it is ideal for large sized residences
- Capability of removing up to 30 pints of moisture per day ensures lack of dampness, regardless how often you shower or bathe
- Reasonable price compared to most products in its niche – a more affordable option to go for
What We Dislike
- 3-liter capacity of the tank has you emptying it quite often if you do not opt for continuous draining and there is high humidity in the room you place it in
- Doesn’t turn off automatically when the desired humidity level is reached
As it allows continuous draining, it is Energy Star rated for the low power consumption during the operational span, and it can even handle large spaces, this is one of the more versatile options to go for. Furthermore, the quite reasonable pricing makes it totally worth the investment.
4. DeLonghi DD45E 45 Pt. Energy Star
You can get rid of moisture and also save money on your energy bill with this Energy Star qualified dehumidifier. It features a 24-hour timer so that you can set it to work and trust it to stop when the time interval has ended. This not only minimizes the energy use but also provides peace of mind and safety in operating. When the water tank is filled, you can either empty it manually or you can use the 3′ hose and attach it to the drain to allow the water to evacuate. Additional features include 2 fan settings, an anti-frost system for use in cold temperatures down to 41F, and a full tank alert for times when you do not use the drain option. With it, you have the possibility to choose the ideal humidity level that best suits your needs. You can easily do this by simply adjusting the humidistat and it will run and absorb water until it reaches the set level then it turns off and starts again when the humidity level increases. Furthermore, you can monitor the humidity and temperature as well with the easy-to-use LCD electronic controls that it has. As for design, you will surely notice that it is stylish and attractive so it will enhance the decor of the room. It features see-through windows to check the water level and comes with solid wheels and handles to ease transportation and storage.
What We Like
- Programmable – allows you to schedule it as you like due to its 24-hour timer
- Generous capacity and area coverage – hard to surpass when it comes to its performance
- Full bucket indicator feature keeps you updated with the amount of moisture picked up by the bucket
- Able to operate even in low temperatures
What We Dislike
- Bulky design
- Can get quite loud
A powerful device you will never be disappointed by, this DeLonghi entry is an investment worth making as it is capable of running even in low temperatures. Reliable and designed to resist for many years of use, mold will never be an issue ever again if you use it.
5. Afloia T8BG
The Alofia T8BG uses the latest Peltier technology to wick excess moisture and create a healthy habitat so that mold won’t settle in the bathroom. It is recommended for use in spaces of up to 215 square feet, which makes it perfectly suited for this specific room. As it is able to remove up to 11 ounces of moisture from the air per day, no matter how steamy you like to take your showers, it will tend to normalize humidity levels. Its water reservoir is removable and situated on the front side, and it boasts a 24-ounce capacity, so you only need to empty it every 2 days or so depending on whether you let it run continuously or not.
If you do not tend to remove the water on time and the reservoir gets filled, it automatically shuts off to prevent overflow of the collected water and start running once you empty it. It even features a LED indicator that lets you know the reservoir needs to be emptied to eliminate guesswork. It produces a mere 33 decibels when it runs, so you are likely to forget that it is turned on as you can barely hear it.
The low energy consumption makes it an environmentally friendly solution to absorb dampness and condensation. Furthermore, the compact size it boasts ensures it takes up little space, which not only makes it perfect for the bathroom, but for use in the wardrobe or even the RV. Lastly, we must mention that an industry-leading 2-year warranty is provided by the manufacturing company, and lifetime support is provided in case you have any questions related to using it.
What We Like
- Automatically shuts off to prevent water overflow when the tank is full
- Produces only 33 decibels when it runs
- Energy efficiency is granted by its low power consumption
- Backed by a lengthy 2-year warranty
A compact solution to upkeep bathroom humidity is offered by the Alofia. Not only is it small in size, which makes it perfect for this room, but it can remove quite a hearty amount of excess moisture from the air per day, 11 ounces to be specific, which makes it quite effective at its job.
6. hOmeLabs Compact Thermoelectric
Although it does not remove as much moisture from the air as other products in this top do, the hOmeLabs entry still makes an exceptional choice for a damp room as it is specially designed for use in this area of the house. After all, regardless of its humidity level, the lavatory is not a vast space, so it cannot ever have as great issues as other spaces do, like the basement for example. This specific model can actually remove up to 9 pints of moisture per day, and it is intended for use in rooms that measure up to 150 square feet in size. For convenience in placement, it features a 6-foot long cord which basically allows you to put it anywhere you want in the room. To ensure a quiet operation, it uses thermoelectric cooling. Additionally, the automatic shut-off feature it comes with allows you to set the precise amount of operational time you desire, thus helping reduce costs on the energy bill. This is not to say that it consumes much energy when it does run, as it is, in fact, one of the most energy-efficient products of its kind. Coming at a more than reasonable price and performing better than most would expect seeing how it is relatively compact in size, it is a product we strongly recommend you give a try.
What We Like
- Low power consumption – energy efficient design encourages prolonged use
- 6-foot cord length allows freedom of placement in the room
- Tank is easy to empty and insert back
- LED indicator tells you when the time comes to empty the tank
What We Dislike
- Not the best moisture removal performance
- Doesn’t boast the most appealing design aesthetically
Affordable and effective, it is specially designed for use in damp rooms. While it does not boast the most impressive moisture removal rate out there, this is easily understandable considering the fact that the relatively small-sized room does not require too much dehumidification.
7. Hysure Portable 2200 Cubic Feet
As it doesn’t feature a compressor, utilizing the Peltier technology which doesn’t require any moving parts, it maintains a compact, lightweight design – it measures only 8.2 inches by 5.1 inches by 4.3 inches. It provides optimal performance in damp spaces of up to 317 square feet, which recommends it for this particular room of your home. Over a 24-hour time span, it is able to withdraw up to 0.5 pints of excess humidity. Seeing how the tank volume it boasts is 1 pint, if excess moisture issues are severe, you are likely to need to empty it twice per day. When the tank fills, the LED indicator turns on to make you aware of the occurrence. If you don’t notice the indicator or simply forget to empty the tank on time, it will turn off on its own to prevent overheating. It only draws 23 watts when it runs, so you needn’t worry that running it continuously will add to the utility bills too much. It produces less than 37 decibels, another highlight as you will barely be able to hear it operating. When it comes to operating it, you won’t have any trouble with the task at all as its one-button design takes out all the hassle. Alas, there is a bad side to this overly simplistic design, more precisely that it indicates a lack of more complex features that other higher-priced models come with, including a timer.
What We Like
- Produces a mere 37 decibels when it runs, so it won’t present a distraction if you place it in a room where silence is needed
- To prevent overheating, it turns off automatically when the tank is full or when you remove it
- LED indicator turns on to let you know when the tank is full and requires emptying
- Simplistic design with one-button control grants ease of use
What We Dislike
- Plug is very sensitive, it might turn off because of it at a minor bump
- Performance-wise, it doesn’t provide the same quality more expensive entries do
Able to maintain proper moisture levels in a generally damp and small space like the bathroom, it is one of the picks we strongly recommend to those who are on a budget. Despite its compact size, it’s built to last, and it will serve you properly for years on end, so your money is safely spent on it for sure.
8. Pro Breeze PB-03-US
Compact yet powerful when it comes to its moisture removal aptitudes, the Pro Breeze is one of our top selections for all the good reasons. It is actually capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day, which makes it ideal for use in damp spaces. This particular model is recommended for use in rooms that measure up to 2200 cubic feet or 220 square feet. The water reservoir it features has a sufficient 52-ounce capacity, meaning that you won’t need to empty it all that often, 1-2 times per week at tops. When the tank does get filled, in order to prevent the water from spilling outside, it features an automatic shut-off. Thus, there are no risks involved in case you leave the house for a few days or simply forget to check on the tank for a while. It comes at a reasonable price which makes it accessible to everyone, regardless of their budget. Furthermore, the manufacturing company provides a 1-year warranty on this product.
What We Like
- Automatically turns off when the water tank is full to prevent spilling
- Optimal operating temperature ranges from 59 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit
- 1-year warranty offered by the manufacturing company
- Comes at an affordable price
What We Dislike
- Does not provide with the possibility for continuous drainage
- Not as energy efficient as other entries are
Affordable, compact, and mighty when it comes to its moisture removal capability – this is the best way to describe the Pro Breeze. For bathrooms, it is an ideal option to go for as it can even handle removing up to 18 ounces of humidity per day from the atmosphere, ensuring a completely safe space when it comes to air quality.
9. Pure Enrichment Premium
Anytime you want to rely on a great dehumidifying device that will take minimum space and provide maximum performance, you can count on the Pure Enrichment Premium that can capture humidity and mold from compact areas. This small yet powerful model has a water tank that can collect 27 ounces or 0.8 liters of water and it can eliminate around 10 oz. of water during a day. In humidities exceeding 86% and temperatures of more than 86F, the absorption rate might vary but it will continue to yield at its highest. The water tank is transparent so you can easily keep track of the level of water and be prompt in emptying it and there is also a full tank indicator light to let you know when it is time to remove the tank and empty the water collected. When the tank is full, it will automatically shut off to prevent spillage or overheating so you can rest assured even if you cannot empty it right away. Thanks to the one-button operation, it is incredibly easy to use and it can also be easily integrated into any room decor because it is so compact and lightweight.
What We Like
- Full tank indicator eliminates guesswork – you will be announced when it is time to empty it
- Stylish design – makes for the perfect addition to any existing décor
- Lightweight design – it will be easy for you to move it wherever you please
- It comes at a highly affordable price
What We Dislike
- Small moisture removing capacity per day
- Cannot handle medium or large-sized spaces
Although this is not the best model out there, considering its overall performance and great design, you will not regret buying it. If you do not have severe issues with humidity, it is a purchase you cannot skip on.
10. iSiLER Portable 2L
Design-wise, it might seem like it cannot handle a big load as it is quite compact, measuring only 8.9” by 5.9” by 14.7”, but this is as far away from the truth as it gets. It is able to remove up to 1.6 pints of moisture per day, and the water tank it features has a 4.2-pint capacity, which means that you won’t need to empty it all that often. It produces only 40 decibels when it runs, so you needn’t worry it might present a nuisance. It is designed to provide excellent humidity removal in spaces ranging from 161 to 269 square feet. It features a filter which is easy to clean and that ensures impurities in the air will no longer exist, meaning that you will lead a healthier life as a result of using it. The cord that it features measures 60 inches, so it basically eliminates the need for extension cords. The casing is made with ABS plastic, and the device itself weighs 5 pounds. It automatically shuts off when the water tank is full to prevent spillage. In addition, the manufacturing company backs it with a 1-year warranty for defective parts and workmanship.
What We Like
- Water tank can hold up a maximum of 4.2 pints of water
- Produces only 40 decibels when it runs
- When the water tank gets filled, it automatically shuts off until you empty it
- Manufacturing company backs it with a 1-year warranty
What We Dislike
- Cannot cover as wide of an area as other models can
- Doesn’t feature a timer function
One of the quieter entries on our list, the iSiLER is ideal not only due to the fact that it can handle removing high amounts of moisture per day – 1.6 pints to be more precise – but because it comes at quite an affordable price. If you are on a budget, this is a choice worth looking more into.
Small spaces do not require a bulky and heavy dehumidifier to remove excess humidity so it is best to also have a smaller unit at hand. The quickest and the most efficient and hygienic way to protect against mold growth and excessive moisture is to use a high-quality dehumidifier just like this one from VonHaus. It can extract up to 0.75 L of water a day but it has a 2L water tank to store the water. However, it can operate at temperatures as low as 30F and it can handle high levels of moisture up to 80% without showing signs of overburdening. It might be small, but it is powerful and equipped with some great features like the auto humidistat that enables it to monitor room humidity and to set it anywhere from 40% to 80%. As the humidity increases or drops, it either starts or stops to ensure the perfect operating. It uses the whisper quiet Peltier technology with no compressor or moving parts to create noise, so it operates silently. Moreover, it is lightweight and portable as well, and it includes LED lighting indicator lights, dry air outlets on both sides, rubber feet for stability, and a washable filter.
What We Like
- Visible water level featured by the tank allows constant motorization
- Automatically switches off when the desired humidity level is reached
- Features LED lights that indicate when it is in use and when its full capacity is reached
- Whisper-quiet operation – you will forget it is in the same room with you
What We Dislike
- Short warranty – manufacturer back it up for only 1 year
- In some cases, the cord got hot after more than 12 hours of continuous use
Coming at an incredibly low price and boasting a surprisingly high performance, this VonHaus dehumidification appliance is what you need. Not only does it exceed expectations performance-wise, but it makes for a stylish addition as well due to its impeccable design.
12. Hodgson T8
Fit for small rooms of approximately 200 square feet, the T8 is an option we strongly recommend if you do not have absurd humidity issues as it can handle removing up to 300 milliliters of moisture per day. Of course, important reasoning to why it appears in our top is because of its cheap asking price which makes it one of the most affordable products in its niche. It measures a mere 6.4 by 4.2 by 10.2 inches, so it does not occupy a lot of space. It features a 700-milliliter water tank which needs to be emptied only once every couple of days, depending on how much you use it, obviously. Another aspect worth praising is the low 21-watt energy consumption which encourages you to keep it up and running for as long as it is needed, without having to worry about operational costs. It comes with a 5-foot long adapter cable which allows freedom of placement. Additionally, the ABS plastic casing makes it durable enough to withstand years of use.
What We Like
- Can operate in environments where the temperature ranges between 50 and 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- Low power consumption – only 21 watts
- Water tank volume of approximately 1.5 pints
- Comes with a 5-foot long adapter cable
What We Dislike
- Low moisture removal rate when compared to similar products
- Doesn’t come with the energy-saving timer feature
Although it is not the most impressive entry on the market, it does its job stellar. Furthermore, the cheap asking price makes it an investment worthwhile, ensuring you won’t have to make big sacrifices to purchase it.
What Types You Can Select Between
As you already know, a dehumidifier can help control humidity, providing you with plenty of benefits. Some of the most popular devices are the refrigerant and desiccant models. Each one of these models helps you maintain the proper humidity range in your home. Usually, these products use advanced technology to capture the air and squeeze out excess moisture before releasing the air back to the room. It is important to know that these two models are a bit different in the way they extract the moisture from the air. The refrigerant model uses a metal coil to cool the air and extract the water, while the desiccant model uses a drying material that will absorb the air. The material will keep the amount of water, and the air will be released back into the room. Usually, there is too much water in the air, the material can be broken.
Is It a Purchase Worth Making?
The bathroom is the place of the house with the highest humidity level due to the use of hot water so you might say that it is normal to sense humidity in the air. However, this does not mean that you should allow humidity to spread and to encourage the development of mold because this could affect the other rooms in your house. Not doing anything to prevent air from getting too humid can have serious effects on your house and your health.
- First of all, the mold and dampness can reach other areas of the house by spreading through the walls and the floors and this affects the structure and resistance of the building. Once mold starts to take over the house, it is harder to get rid of as it gets deeper. Imagine having to remove the tiles and the plaster to clean the mold on the walls.
- The second reason why you should resort to one is your health. Inhaling mold spores is very dangerous and can be the cause of many respiratory problems. Once mold spores start to appear, they spread into the air so you do not even have to be in the room where it all started to inhale them. The spores that thrive in humid areas travel through the air and can soon reach many other areas of your house, thus posing a bigger risk to your health.
- Last, but not least, mold is unpleasant to see and a room covered in mold is not the most appealing place to be in. The black spots can appear anywhere and once they get in between the tiles or near the tub, it is harder to remove them and they make the room look dirty and untidy.
Alternative Methods for Mold Removal
Yes, a dehumidifier is basically mandatory for use in the bathroom, but until you get one, you have to tend to the existing issue which is threatening the state of your health – the presence of mold on the surfaces inside this room. Here are the best alternative methods that you can turn to until you make the acquisition and stop the appearance of mold altogether:
- Bleach and baking soda: Remove excess mold using a hot soapy water and baking soda mixture. After you rinse and dry out your first attempt, move on to mixing a solution which is composed of 2 parts water and 1 part bleach. Transfer the mixture to a spray bottle and apply it to the affected area. Use a brush to scrub thoroughly and, if needed, spray the solution a second time. When the problem seems to be out of the way, just wash off the surface and continue on using the bathroom normally.
- Vinegar: In a spray bottle, put white vinegar and spray it onto the affected surfaces. Let it do its action for about 1 hour, and in the meanwhile let the window open if possible for the smell to not be hard to get rid of later. When the hour passes, wipe the surface clean using hot water and try it with a towel.
- Ammonia: First off, make sure that you are using clear ammonia as this substance comes in quite a few varieties which won’t serve you. Put it into a spray bottle and spray it onto the entire moldy surface. Use a brush to thoroughly scrub the area where you sprayed the ammonia so that no mold or spores are left behind, and let the room air for about 1-2 hours for the smell to get out. Afterward, simply wipe away any remaining substance.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Take a dark spray bottle and pour 3% hydrogen peroxide in it as light diminishes the solution’s potency. Before you spray it all over the affected surfaces, do a spot test to see if that area will fade or not. If it’s alright and no fading occurs, spray the entire mold affected surface and let the solution sit for 20 minutes. Wipe the surface clean and air the bathroom for about 2 hours before using it as the smell of the solution is potent and unpleasant.
- Borax: Mix a gallon of water with a cup of Borax, vacuum as many mold spores as you can, and proceed to clean the affected area with a sponge dipped in the aforementioned mixture. Next, you simply wipe the solution off the surface and let it dry before you go in to take a bath.
Bathroom Mold Prevention
Mold flourishes quite easily in this room as it requires moisture to grow, thus the habitat in the bathroom being ideal for mold to take hold. Water is almost constantly present on the surfaces and in the air, which means that easy multiplication of mold spores is promoted. Mold can grow on all types of materials that trap moisture, like paper, ceiling tiles, cardboard, fabric, even wood, what is alarming being the fact that it only requires a sufficient amount of it to thrive and nothing more. As there is constant use of water in this room, mold growth seems impossible to stop, but with the right preventive measures, it can be achievable.
Mold varies when it comes to how dangerous it is for human and animal health depending on its precise type, yet what all mold variations have in common is the fact that they can cause health issues to arise. Mold is an irritant agent, but when people who have low immunity, allergies, asthma, or lung conditions enter into contact with it, it can jeopardize their well-being. Furthermore, when left unchecked, it infiltrates into the ceiling, walls, and floor, which will require the removal of the surfaces and costly professional treatments to get rid of it completely.
Removal & Prevention
- Removal tips: If you see traces of mold or you can sense a musty odor in the bathroom, give the room a thorough cleanup. In the unfortunate event that it has infiltrated in the walls, floor, or ceiling, remove the surfaces and get rid of it immediately with the use of a commercial product specially designed to tackle it or by calling in a professional.
- Prevention: After each bath or shower you take, wipe down the walls and sink with a dry towel or cloth to minimize moisture left on the surfaces. In case there is any leaking showerhead or faucet, fix it immediately as it will affect moisture levels in the room. Evidently, proper prevention cannot happen without the use of a dehumidifier that constantly works on removing excess moisture and maintaining proper humidity levels inside the room.
|Moisture removed per day||Even though the bathroom isn’t one of the largest rooms in a house, it is one of the dampest as a result of you bathing and showering in the enclosed space. Thus, high humidity is inevitable in it, and the requirement for a moisture removing device that can handle removing high amount of humidity from the air is imperious.||Keystone KSTAD50B EnergyStar 50-Pint|
|Reservoir capacity||If it features a high-capacity reservoir, then you are required to empty it less often, which is convenient and time-saving. We made it a point to look into this aspect as well when ranking the products as it weighs greatly when it comes to convenience in use.||Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control|
|Covered area||As aforementioned, the bathroom isn’t the largest room in your home, but this doesn’t mean that you should stray from buying a model that can handle wider areas. If you do so, you enjoy versatility in use as you can use it in other areas of your home which are larger, like the basement, for example.||Keystone KSTAD50B EnergyStar 50-Pint|
|Design||When we rated the design of our picks, we took into consideration their portability, how modern their design-related features are, and the convenience in use provided by their controls. The highest score was given to the product that is the most intuitive to use and boasts a modern, relatively compact design.||Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control|
|Energy efficiency||Evidently, we could not rank the devices without taking power consumption into consideration as well. This is an aspect of a great importance as it shows whether or not running the dehumidifier continuously or for a large time span per day will negatively impact the number you see at the bottom when the electricity bill arrives.||Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control, Keystone KSTAD50B Energy Star 50-Pint, DeLonghi DD45E 45 Pt. Energy Star, hOmeLabs Compact Thermoelectric, Hodgson T8|
With the increasing levels of humidity in this room, you need to rely on a very efficient moisture removal device that will do a tremendous job at little costs. But how can you tell if it is good enough to handle the situation? Here is how you can find the best model on the market.
Look for the right size
The first aspect you need to take into account is the size of the room so that you will be able to pick the right size for the device. A small unit is easier to fit in tiny spaces but it might have trouble dealing with excessive humidity. As such, if you find it hard to remove high levels of air moisture, you are better off with a larger model.
Check its power
You will want to keep your energy consumption within limits and using a highly consuming product will not do you any good. Therefore, look for an Energy-Star labeled model that reduces the energy usage with the help of smart features like automatic shut off or programmable timer. Also, make sure it is not overburdened because if it has to work around the clock, it will not manage to save power.
Consider its capacity
If you do not want to have to empty the tank several times per day, make sure you pick a model with a large water reservoir or one with an evacuating pump. This way, it will be able to absorb large amounts of water without needing to be emptied very often.
Go for a good brand
No doubt about it, a product designed by a reputable brand id more likely to be more efficient and durable so it is worth spending more money on a popular brand. This will also ensure a longer warranty and a worry-free operating so the investment will shortly pay for itself.
Get a user-friendly model
Last, but not least, you should count on a model that is easy to use, with simple controls and functions that will allow you to use it to its fullest. Make sure the one you buy is easy to program, that you can effortlessly empty it and that maintenance will not be too cumbersome.
How We Tested
Moisture removal efficiency
Evidently, the problem you want it to tackle is excess moisture, and for it to be as effective as possible to properly cater to your needs, it must remove as much humidity as possible over a 24-hour time span. We tested each entry to see if it actually removes as much moisture as the manufacturing company says it does, and we were pleasantly surprised to see that all models were up to par from this point of view.
We understand that a user-friendly design is important with modern devices as no one want to have trouble using basic functions. When we tested the models to see how easy to use they actually are, we gave extra points to the ones that came with timers that allow the user to establish the operational span, feet that make it easy to move it, a compact and lightweight design, intuitive controls, and the existence of the possibility for continuous drainage.
We had to make sure that operating our picks won’t add to your utility bills all that much, and for that, we ran each product for 24 hours to see exactly what power drainage it boasts. Models that come with the timer feature received extra points as they allow you to limit their power consumption only to what’s strictly necessary.
|Product||Moisture removal efficiency||User-friendly design||Energy efficiency|
|Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control||10/10||10/10||10/10|
|Overall score: 10/10|
|Keystone KSTAD50B Energy Star 50-Pint||10/10||10/10||10/10|
|Overall score: 10/10|
|DeLonghi DD45E 45 Pt. Energy Star||10/10||10/10||9/10|
|Overall score: 9.6/10|
|Overall score: 9.6/10|
|hOmeLabs Compact Thermoelectric||8/10||10/10||9/10|
|Overall score: 9.0/10|
|Pro Breeze PB-03-US||8/10||9/10||9/10|
|Overall score: 8.6/10|
|iSiLER Portable 2L||8/10||8/10||8/10|
|Overall score: 8/10|
|VonHaus Compact Portable Air||9/10||9/10||8/10|
|Overall score: 8.6/10|
|Pure Enrichment Premium||8/10||9/10||9/10|
|Overall score: 8.6/10|
|Overall score: 8.6/10|
✔”Surprisingly quiet, I only hear the fan, the compressor makes almost no noise.”
✔”I have to admit, I didn’t expect it to run this well, but what I can say is that it exceeded my expectations.”
✔”I took care of the mold with baking soda, and then installed this dehumidifier. Ever since I have it, my mold problem hasn’t returned.”
✘”It started leaking from the connection base, I had to give it back.”
✔”Other units I owned used to eliminate heat, but not this one. I really like this aspect.”
✔”Auto defrost is really great, I check occasionally but there’s no ice buildup.”
✔”Much quieter than the one I had before.”
✘”The instructions are really confusing, I don’t know if I was the only one having trouble figuring them out, but was a lot of hassle honestly.”
✔”It was really easy to assemble, and I had no trouble figuring out how to run it either.”
✔”It keeps the bathroom mold-free, I’m really pleased with it.”
✔”Works just as well as advertised, a really rare trait these days.”
✘”I find it to be a bit loud, honestly.”
✔”I really like the alarm that goes off when the auto shut-off for the empty tank activates.”
✔”The wheels do make it very easy indeed to move it around the room.”
✔”I like the direct drain option, spares me of a lot of hassle.”
✘”The plastic container doesn’t move in and out all that smoothly, it’s kind of annoying to work with it.”
✔”It’s so quiet I forget that it’s turned on.”
✔”No more nasty odors on my clothes and towels since I got it, love this product.”
✔”Great price to quality value, was worth acquiring.”
✘”I wasn’t all that impressed by it, expected it to collect moisture more effectively.”
✔”The muggy feeling I had before in the bathroom has completely went away since I have it.”
✔”Only dumped it twice per week, I like that it’s not too much hassle when it comes to this part.”
✔”It’s been a few months since I am using it now, mold hasn’t come back ever since.”
✘”I find the construction to be a bit flimsy, don’t think it will last too many years.”
✔”When I received it, I could feel a major difference after running it for only 2 hours, was really impressed with it.”
✔”The sound it makes it comparable to a small fan, it doesn’t interfere with my shower concerts.”
✔”The moldy smell in the bathroom went away completely.”
✘”It’s not necessarily bad, but it is inferior to the one I had before, too bad that one broke down too soon after I got it.”
✔”I like how easy it is to run, didn’t expect that as my previous model was quite complicated from this point of view.”
✔”It’s built from quality materials, it should last for a pretty long time.”
✔”It just looks perfect in my black and white bathroom, really love the design.”
✘”Don’t run it for more than 12 hours continuously, the cord will get incredibly hot.”
✔”I like how easy it is to run it and empty the tank when it fills.”
✔”It’s so quiet I can’t believe it, almost as quiet as our central AC unit.”
✔”It’s sleek, quiet, and boasts a really modern design, what could I ask for more than this.”
✘”It was ineffective for my bathroom, too much steam builds up in it.”
✔”Very efficient for my small bathroom, pulls the steam from the air really quick.”
✔”It draws so little power to run, really like this about it.”
✔”It’s truly quiet ,I can barely hear it run.”
✘”Adapter gets really hot after a few hours of using it.”
F.A.Q. What does the Energy Star certification indicate?
This is one of the most important specs to look into when purchasing a dehumidifying appliance as the Energy Star certification indicates the appliance consumes little energy to run. Basically, to receive the title, the appliance must consume considerably less than similar performing appliances in its niche. Thus, your bills will not notice a significant rise if you opt for a dehumidifier with this certification.
How will the timer feature positively affect the performance quality of the dehumidifier?
If the dehumidifying appliance you invest in features the timer function, you will be able to set the exact amount of operating time. This means that it will not have to function for more than it is needed, so energy consumption will not occur uselessly. For your bills and financial situation, this is a highly desirable feature to accompany the appliance, so we strongly recommend you look into it if energy efficiency is a point of interest for you.
Is it important for a bathroom dehumidifying device to be able to work even in low temperatures?
While this is not necessarily the most important spec to look into when buying a bathroom dehumidifier as the temperature in this room tends to be constant and bearable – meaning that it is on the warmer side – you should still check for the appliance to be able to operate in low temperatures as well. You never know when someone forgets to close the window when you go away from home for a few days during autumn or winter. If it is confronted with abnormally low temperatures that it cannot handle, you will return to a broken dehumidifier.
Is the price of the appliance an indicator of its quality?
While higher-priced appliances do indeed tend to be better performing, it is not a rule set in stone that an expensive dehumidifying appliance provides better and quicker results than a cheaper one does. What you should look into in order to figure out if a certain device is worth the investment or not is its specs and features as these are the stats which indicate its actual performance, not the asking price.
As the lavatory gets all steamy and humid each day, the mold is bound to become an issue at one point if you do not place a dehumidification device in it. Our top pick, the Frigidaire 30-Pint with Humidity Control, makes for a perfect choice as it can remove up to 30 pints of moisture per day, more than this space probably requires. Furthermore, as it is designed to eliminate moisture from spaces of up to 1400 square feet, you can confidently use it in other wider areas around the house as well.
If your necessity exceeds the norm and humidity issues are exaggerated, the Keystone KSTAD50B Energy Star 50-Pint is your best option. As the name suggests, it can remove up to 50 pints of moisture over a 24-hour time period, which is more than enough regardless of how humid the environment gets. On the other hand, for those looking for a budget-smart selection, the VonHaus Compact Portable Air is the right purchase to make as it is cheaper than other similar products, all without sacrificing performance quality. It can handle areas of up to 36 square feet, and it removes up to 0.75 liters of water per day.