Under sink water filters are the preferred choice of many people due to the fact that they are a discrete addition, not occupying any counter space while tending to the process of purifying your drinking water. Chlorine, lead, VOCs, and many other common water contaminants are bound to become a non-existent threat once you make the installation, ensuring pure water for hydration purposes, as well as for cooking and cleaning.
7. CuZn UC-200
The UC-200 under sink filtration system is one of the easiest to install in our top, the whole process taking approximately 5 minutes as you only have to hook it up to the cold water supply and you’re done. Through a thorough 3-stage filtration process, it reduces organic and inorganic contaminants including chlorine, heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides, molds, odors, bad taste, algae, and more, all while preserving health beneficial hardness minerals like calcium and magnesium.
For this purification process, it uses micro-sediment membranes, a KDF-55 filter, and a coconut shell carbon filter. Furthermore, this combination of filtration media makes it bacteriostatic, meaning that it is not susceptible to mold or bacteria growth with the passing of time. The 2 GPM flow rate ensures water pressure won’t drop as a result of installing it. Seeing how it boasts a 50,000-gallon capacity, replacement is most likely required after approximately 5 years of service.
A mention-worthy highlight is that it is basically maintenance-free except for the inevitable replacement once the filtration media is saturated. Lastly, we praise the 5-year warranty that accompanies it, as well as the 90-day money back guarantee that allows you to return it and receive a full refund in the event that you are displeased with the purchase for any given reason.
- Replacement is required only after purifying 50,000 gallons of water or after approximately 5 years of use
- Filters harmful contaminants while preserving health beneficial hardness minerals like calcium and magnesium
- Boasts a bacteriostatic profile, meaning that it isn’t susceptible to mold or bacteria growth
- Easy DIY installation takes only 5 minutes as you solely have to connect it to the cold water supply
A system that you can install on your own as it only requires hook-up to the cold water supply and that provides up to 5 years of water purification without the elimination of beneficial minerals like calcium and magnesium, the CuZn UC-200 is an entry we strongly recommend to anyone confronted with water purity issues.
6. 3M Aqua-Pure 3MFF100
Easy on the wallet and able to filter a wide range of contaminants to leave you with clean drinking water, the 3M Aqua-Pure 3MFF100 is a desirable product to install. Speaking of installation, it is quite an easy procedure that you are likely to handle on your own if you closely follow the provided instructions. It even comes with everything you need for the procedure, including tubing, mounting screws, and the attached mounting bracket.
It is a 6000-gallon capacity system, so you won’t spend a lot of money on upkeep and cartridge replacement. It features a neat built-in shut-off valve that lets you change the Sanitary Quick Change filters without having to shut off the water supply. As it endorses a 2.5 GPM flow rate, water pressure won’t drop after you install it.
During the triple stage carbon-block filtration process it employs to purify the water, it can remove a variety of contaminants, including VOCs, particulate, lead, sediment, parasitic protozoan cysts, and chlorine taste and odor. Its universal design lets you use it on municipal water systems, as well as well water systems. The pressure range at which it can run spans from 30 to 125 PSI, while the operational temperature range spans from 40 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 6000-gallon capacity ensures you won’t change filters all that often
- Sanitary Quick Change cartridge design promotes fast cartridge change-out when needed
- Uses a triple stage carbon-block filtration process to eliminate a wide range of contaminants, including chlorine taste and odor, VOCs, sediments, particulate, lead, and more
- 2.5 GPM flow rate ensures water pressure won’t drop after installation
An easy to install system that anyone can opt for as it is suitable for use on municipal water systems, as well as well water systems, the 3M Aqua-Pure 3MFF100 is a budget-smart solution to keep the water you drink and use impurity-free.
5. iSpring RCC7
A reverse osmosis system that helps not only decontaminate the water and make it safer to use and drink, but that softens hard water as well in order to prevent damage to appliances that use it to run, the RCC7 is one of our top recommendations. It comes at a rather accessible price as opposed to other entries in its market. As it is rated to eliminate up to 99% of more than 1000 different types of impurities lurking in tap water, you can confidently rely on it to tackle health-threatening contaminants like chlorine, viruses, arsenic, fluoride, calcium, asbestos, and more.
It passes the water through 5 separate filtration stages before releasing it, each stage being designed to progressively remove encountered impurities. The media it uses during the purification process includes 3 pre-filters, a reverse osmosis filter, and a fine GAC filter.
It takes 2 to 4 hours install it, but the procedure is quite simplistic, so you won’t have any issues in this department. Due to the fact that it provides a 75 gallons per day production rate, it is perfect for use in homes of all sizes. Furthermore, the manufacturing company backs it with a 1-year warranty on parts and labor.
- Can tackle eliminating over 1000 different types of impurities it encounters
- Reasonably priced – one of the more affordable acquisitions on the market
- Passes the water through a 5-stage filtration process
- High 75 GPD production rate makes it suitable for all-size households
- Takes a bit longer to install it as opposed to other entries in our top – 2 to 4 hours on average
- Takes up a little more undersink space than other systems do
No matter how big or small your family is, this is your go-to option for clearing the water you drink and use of nasty impurities that threaten your health. It is reasonably priced, which makes it more accessible than other entries on the market, while the 5-stage purification it employs guarantees utter quality in tackling the contaminants it finds.
4. APEC Essence ROES-50 Under Sink Water Filter
A 5-stage system that you can rely on when it comes to the removal of over 1000 different types of common contaminants that lurk in the water, the Essence is an offer you cannot refuse, especially considering the rather reasonable price it comes at. If you just follow the steps provided in the instruction manual, you can perform the system’s installation yourself. Due to the fact that it comes with quality fittings that guarantee a good grip, leaks are sure to never occur, so you won’t need to separately install a detector for them.
During the purification process, it employs double carbon blocks that maximize contact time in order to provide a thorough removal of chlorine and chemicals from the water you hydrate with. Other media it uses include an RO membrane, sediment pre-filter, and a coconut carbon media. Due to the fact that filter replacement frequency required ranges from 6 to 12 months, depending on your water consumption, it is safe to say that this is an economic system to opt for.
It comes with a lead-free faucet that ensures the water won’t be contaminated before it is delivered in your glass. Additionally, a 1-year warranty is provided for the system, but you can expand it to 2 years through the simple registration of the product on the manufacturer’s website.
- Tackles over 1000 types of impurities it encounters
- High-capacity system – requires maintenance only once every 6 to 12 months
- Easy DIY installation is possible by simply following the provided instructions in the user manual
- 1-year warranty agreement can be prolonged with the simple registration of the product
- Does not announce you when the cartridges need to be replaced
- Some customers reported leaks
This 50GPD system is a desirable one to opt for as it provides thoroughly filtered water that has been passed through 5 different filtration stages. The effective media it employs is able to remove over 1000 types of impurities, so you can rest assured knowing that lead, chlorine, fluoride, and many other contaminants won’t affect you anymore.
3. Crystal Quest SMART
Designed to remove contaminants like heavy metals and chlorine from tap water, the SMART system makes a big difference in the quality of the water you drink. It comes with all the installation hardware you need, as well as a faucet so that you won’t have to make any extra purchases. It provides up to 10000 gallons of clean, purified water before the cartridges need to be replaced. To provide a thorough, quality filtration, it passes the water through 3 filtration cartridges – the SMART cartridge, the carbon block cartridge, and the sediment cartridge.
The SMART cartridge contains multiple layers of filtration, including a bed of media which is a blend between copper and zinc and that tackles chlorine removal from your drinking water, ion exchange resins that reduce heavy metals and water hardness, and granulated activated carbon that adsorbs pesticides, herbicides, VOC’s, chlorine, insecticides, and other chemicals present in the water. The carbon block cartridge passes the water through a 5-micron solid carbon media to remove industrial solvents, insecticides, pesticides, VOC’s, and particles larger than 5 microns like dirt, sand, silt, and sediment. Lastly, the sediment cartridge the water passes through eliminates dirt, silt, sand, and sediment so that the water outputted is as pure as it can be.
Its operational temperature range spans from 40 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, while the operating pressure ranges from 20 to 60 PSI. It provides a maximum flow rate of up to 0.5 gallons per minute, which makes it appropriate for households of all sizes. Furthermore, a 1-year warranty is provided by the manufacturing company for this system, so it’s covered on parts and labor for quite a while.
- Filtration media require replacement only after purifying up to 10000 gallons of water
- High flow rate of up to 0.5 gallons per minute makes it suitable for all size households
- Comes with a faucet and all the installation hardware you need
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
As it passes the water through 3 thorough stages of filtration where it employs effective purification media, including the proprietary SMART cartridge, a sediment filter media, and the carbon block cartridge, the Crystal Quest ensures clean drinking water in a convenient, cost-effective manner. It comes with all the installation hardware you need, and the procedure is one that you can take up o your own, which adds to its appeal.
2. Pelican Water PDF-1500-PC
The 3-stage filtration process through which it passes the water you end up drinking and using when you cook has proven to be one of the most efficient as it tends to the removal of almost all encountered contaminants, leaving behind clean, pure water. During the filtration process, it employs a 25-micron pre-filter and two catalytic GAC carbon media, which not only eliminate dangerous particles, but tend to improve water odor and taste.
The small footprint it boasts is an advantage worth mentioning as it means that even if the space beneath the sink is limited, this won’t be an issue. It is easy to maintain, all you have to do being to remove the cover and replace the filtration media once every 6 to 12 months, depending on usage. Furthermore, it boasts a hassle-free installation that you can definitely perform on your own, no tools being required for it.
Best of all, the carbon filter media inside it helps retain important minerals – like calcium and magnesium – minerals that actually aid boost your health. There are 3 faucet options you can select between to match the décor of your kitchen, more precisely bronze, chrome, and brushed nickel. It boasts a 1500-gallon capacity that recommends it for small-sized homes. In addition, the manufacturing company backs it with a 1-year warranty.
- Carbon media helps it retain calcium, magnesium, and other essential minerals in the water
- Passes the water through an effective 3-stage filtration process
- It uses a 25-micron pre-filter and two GAC carbon media
- Accompanied by a 1-year warranty
Due to the highly effective 3-stage filtration process it employs, this Pelican system is one of our favorite selections, one we strongly recommend you acquire. As it not only eliminates contaminants, but it retains beneficial minerals, it’s hard to overlook it as an at home solution for proper hydration.
1. Aquasana AQ-5300.62
Eliminating chloramines is a feat few water purification systems are capable of doing, yet this Aquasana entry does it masterfully. During the 3-stage filtration process it employs, it actually tends to the removal of 77 different contaminants that lurk in the water. The filter life capacity it boasts is 600 gallons, so cartridge replacement won’t be required all that often, maintenance costs being pocket-friendly. The stylish designer faucet comes in 3 different finishes to match the room’s existing décor, more precisely chrome, brushed nickel, and oil rubbed bronze. There is even a filter change indicator that lets you know exactly when the moment comes to perform maintenance work, eliminating guesswork. It is easy to install, the entire procedure being explained in the accompanying instructions manual. Furthermore, it is backed with a 1-year warranty against defects in parts and labor.
As we have stated previously, a 3-stage filtration process is employed to rid the water you use of harmful contaminants. Before the water actually begins to pass through the filtration media, it is passed through a 20-micron pre-filter that ensures it won’t clog too soon by eliminating rust, silt, and sediment. The media used by it include an activated carbon media that reduces VOCs, pharmaceuticals, herbicides, and MTBE, a catalytic carbon media that specifically targets chlorine and chloramines, and an ion-exchange media that tends to the removal of mercury and lead, two of the most dangerous contaminants present in our drinking water.
Contaminant Removal Efficiency
What matters most with these systems, undeniably, is their efficiency when it comes to the elimination of contaminants present in your drinking water. As the Aquasana boasts an impressive capability of removing up to 77 different types of contaminants that lurk in the water, most of them presenting a severe threat to your health, it is safe to say that this is one of the most efficient systems you can turn to. It actually reduces chlorine and chloramines up to 97%, its lead reduction capability passes 99.3%, it reduces VOCs by approximately 99.4%, and particulate reduction is as high as 99.9%.
Mention Worthy Details
- Sub-micron mechanical filtration it utilizes ensures that even chlorine resistant cysts will be removed from the water.
- Easy twist-off design of the filtration media makes replacement work a cinch.
- Provides a 0.5 gallons per minute flow rate which ensures water pressure won’t be lost.
- Rated at a 90 degrees Fahrenheit maximum feed water temperature.
- Company provides a 90-day trial period, so you can return it and receive a full refund in this period of time if you are not pleased with the product.
Generally, maintenance work is dreaded by users as it is pretty bothersome and quite costly. However, this isn’t the case with the Aquasana as the simple twist-off design of the cartridges ensures you will have an easy time replacing them when the time comes to do so. Furthermore, replacement cartridges are quite inexpensive when compared to other selections you encounter out there. Due to the fact that it uses a 20 micron pre-filter to capture silt and rust which might have otherwise clogged the entire system, its lifespan is lengthened to 600 gallons, meaning that you are likely to change the cartridges only once every 6 months.
- Uses an activated carbon media, a catalytic carbon media, an ion-exchange media, and absolute sub-micron mechanical filtration to deliver clean water
- It announces you when the time comes to change the filters
- Reduces up to 77 contaminants, including the dangerous and hard to get rid of chloramine
- Easy filter replacement and system installation spares you money that you would have had to pay for a professional to step in
Boasting an effective 3-stage filtration which ensures no contaminants will escape it, this system is your go-to solution if you care for your health and want to make sure that you will ingest nothing but clean, pure water from now on. Furthermore, it is quite reasonably priced considering what it offers, and the installation process can be performed without the help of a professional.
Top 5 Under Sink Water Filter Compared
|View On Amazon →Read Our Review|
|View On Amazon →Read Our Review|
|View On Amazon →Read Our Review|
|View On Amazon →Read Our Review|
|View On Amazon →Read Our Review|
Common Water Pollutants and the Decay of Our Health
Our need to stay hydrated in order to survive confronts us with a harsh reality – considering how much our health is negatively influenced by the pollutants that lurk in the water we drink. There is no mystery to the fact that bottled water does more harm than good, and seeing how tap water is an even worse source for hydration, it might seem like there is no solution to our problems.
Under sink systems present the ideal way to stay hydrated without endangering your health as these filters make it a point to remove unwanted and harmful contaminants, leaving behind clean and safe water for consumption. Learn more about the common pollutants that all top of the line water filters eliminate and how their presence in tap water could affect your health by reading the following lines.
- Chlorine: This chemical is all so present in our drinking water as it has the capability to disinfect it and keep dangerous bacteria, like giardia and E-coli at bay. However, exposure to chlorine on a daily basis and its regular consumption through water can take a toll on your health. If you are lucky, you will only get a rash or irritation caused by bathing in the water. In case your health is on the fritz and luck is not your strong point, you could even have cardiovascular issues or become predisposed to cancer.
- Lead: This is a dangerous and persistent contaminant that can take a toll on your health in the long run. The bad news is that it has an almost immediate negative effect on children’s health, so if you are a parent, you cannot afford to take risks and get the small one sick. The effects of lead contamination on your health include impaired hearing, damage to the central nervous system, impaired function of blood cells, and so on.
- Mercury: Poisoning with this harmful contaminant leads to unwanted health effects that include impaired speech, impaired hearing, impaired walking, muscle weakness, loss of peripheral vision, lack of coordinated movements, and so on. One of the most powerful and dangerous pollutants to reside in tap water, it must be eliminated in order to ensure your well-being.
- VOCs: VOCs or volatile organic compounds is a term applied to a broad category of chemicals, either man-made or natural. When volatile organic compounds found in drinking water reach alarming levels, your health is the first one to receive a downgrade as their toxicity exposes you to the apparition of various forms of cancer, nervous system problems, and kidney health issues.
Rating Our Picks
|Rating Criteria||How It Impacts Product Quality||Product to Receive the Best Score|
|Filtration media||The type of filtration media it utilizes in order to reduce pollutants from the water shows the system’s efficiency in purifying it. Each media type tends to fix certain water quality issues, so the combination of different media types is mandatory for it to remove as wide of a variety of contaminants as possible.||Crystal Quest SMART|
|Contaminant removal efficiency||The bigger the number of contaminants removed is, the better as it indicates that it can tackle almost any kind of impurity it might find. However, it should deliver a high removal percentage when it comes to common and dangerous pollutants like chlorine and VOCs as well.||APEC Essence ROES-50, iSpring RCC7|
|Purification stages||As the water passes through a higher amount of purification stages before it is released through the tap, you are ensured that more impurities and contaminants are removed. Obviously, the type of filtration media it utilizes during the purification process matters more than the number of stages it is passed through as higher quality media are able to remove more dangerous contaminants at higher rates.||APEC Essence ROES-50, iSpring RCC7|
|Cartridge replacement||Cartridge replacement frequency is the best indicator of how much money you will have to invest in the system as time passes. Evidently, it is best to go for a product that doesn’t require you to replace the cartridges all that often in order to avoid costly maintenance work.||Crystal Quest SMART|
|DIY installation||Asking for the help of a professional when you install the system translates to a few hundreds of dollars lost on a task that you would have been able to do on your own if it weren’t to require any special skills. A water purification system could be a DIY installation project to take up, only if it were to come with proper instructions for each step of the process, and not require any advanced plumbing skills.||Aquasana AQ-5300.62, Pelican Water PDF-1500-PC, Crystal Quest SMART, APEC Essence ROES-50, iSpring RCC7|
Does the number of filtration stages matter?
Yes, it does matter through how many filtration stages the water is passed, but this aspect does not top the importance of the specific filtration media utilized in the purification process. To put it in simpler words, it is more important for the filtration media types used by the water purification system to be of good quality rather than just be a high number of filtration stages through which the water is passed.
What does the system capacity show?
The system capacity shows what the amount of water it can purify before the filter will require replacement. Obviously, it is better to go for a higher capacity product as you will have less maintenance work to worry about. Additionally, you won’t be spending as much money either as you will buy the media more rarely.
What is the role of the filter change indicator?
Depending on how much the filtration system is being used, it will eventually need to be replaced as its efficiency will drop and it won’t be able to handle removing the contaminants which lurk in the water anymore. Furthermore, all filtration media have their own lifespan, generally lasting from half a year to 12-18 months. When the time does come for this replacement to take place, you will be announced by the filter change indicator. Thus, its purpose is very important in the efficiency scheme of the filtration system, being valuable as it eliminates guesswork completely.
With a maximum feed temperature of 90 degrees Fahrenheit and a system capacity rating of 600 gallons, the Aquasana AQ-5300.62 is inevitably the number one pick. Furthermore, its list of pros does not end there as it is actually able to eliminate up to 70 different contaminants, passing the water through 3 separate filtration stages. Aside from this top quality system, another entry which blew us away with its stats and capabilities is the Pelican Water PDF-1500-PC which has a generous 1500-gallon capacity and requires filter replacement only 1-2 times per year. However, if you are faced with severe problems in terms of water contamination, we recommend you opt for the APEC Essence ROES-50 or the iSpring RCC7 as both systems can remove over 1000 types of contaminants.