- Updated February 28, 2019
- Posted by: June Spencer
Central air might be the optimal choice for cooling the environment indoors when the torrid weather emerges, but sometimes you can find budget-friendlier, more portable solutions to cool off. Easy to move from one room to another, and providing enough cooling power to make a pleasant atmosphere in a small space, small portable air conditioners are the better, smarter approach to defeating summer weather.
Top 6 Small Portable Air Conditioners Compared
1. Haier HPP08XCR
Perfect for rooms and spaces of up to 215 square feet, it provides a convenient method to keep a cool atmosphere indoors. A portable solution indeed due to the design it boasts, the 8000 BTUs of cooling power it provides ensure the space you place it in will feel perfectly comfortable in a matter of minutes, especially if you use the high fan speed setting.
It measures 28 1/16 inches in height, 12 3/64 inches in width, and 13 5/16 inches in depth, which means that it won’t take up a lot of space, thus allowing you to place it in any room no matter how crowded it is. The portability aspect is enhanced by the fact that it weighs only 51 pounds, which means that moving it from room to room is a 1-person job you won’t have trouble with. There is the addition of the caster wheels which further enhance portability as you can simply push it to move from room to room.
- Displays temperature in real time so that you are aware of environmental conditions at all times.
- Automatically restarts with your pre-selected options after a power outage.
- Features a washable and reusable filter that tends to remove impurities from the air as it is passed through it.
- Comes with a full-function remote control that lets you change settings, turn it on or off, all without having to move an inch from where you are standing in the room.
- An easy-to-install window kit is included with the acquisition so that you will be able to do the procedure on your own.
- It features 4-way air direction that lets you direct the airflow wherever you want for more effective coverage of the space it is placed in.
What truly pleases with it isn’t only the fact that it can cool a small space in no time and that it is easy to move around, but that it provides dehumidification capabilities as well. Considering that you are most likely going to use it during summer when the weather is hot and the atmosphere is excessively humid as well, this feature really comes in handy, regulating moisture levels indoors so that you’ll sit in a truly healthy environment. It is able to remove up to 86 pints of excess moisture per day, which is quite impressive indeed as it basically surpasses what most dehumidifiers that are specially designed for this purpose can achieve.
What We Like
- Electronic controls provide an easy manner to change settings as you please
- Exhaust hose measures a hefty 5 feet, which adds to freedom in placement
- 6-foot long power cord eliminates the need for extension cords
- Easy access is provided to the washable filter so that you can wash and reuse it instead of spending money on replacing it
What We Dislike
- Some customers have complained about the amount of noise it produces
- Not the cheapest purchase you could make
Small-sized, able to cool spaces of up to 215 square feet in no time due to the 8000 BTUs of cooling power it employs, while lowering moisture levels considerably to the dehumidification capabilities it boasts, it makes for the ideal portable solution you could turn to.
2. Honeywell MO08CESWK
Able to cool areas of up to 350 square feet with the impressive 8000 BTUs it outputs, the Honeywell is a reliable acquisition you can expect to run perfectly for years on end. It even provides dehumidification, being able to draw up to 44 pints of moisture from the air per day. Best of all, the continuous drain option allows you to leave it running unattended, not having to worry about emptying collection containers. It features a washable dual filtration system that prevents dust or pet hair from entering it to prolong its lifespan, all while helping reduce impurities in the air as well. It produces only 50-53 decibels when it runs, which means that you are likely to forget it is turned on even when you are in the same room as it preserves its discretion. The intuitive electronic controls make it easy for you to switch between the 2 fan speeds and to manipulate all other settings as you please. But let’s turn to the main subject of interest, more precisely what makes it desirable in terms of portability. First off, it measures 14.6 inches in width by 13.5 inches in depth by 27.7 inches in height, so you won’t have a hard time picking it up when you move it nor finding a spot to place it regardless of how crowded the room is. Evidently, it weighs little as well, 43 pounds to be more precise, which makes it a cinch for you to change its placement without requiring additional help.
What We Like
- Auto-evaporation system it features eliminates the need for a drain bucket
- Comes with a full function remote control for more convenient use
- Complete window vent installation kit included for vertical/horizontal windows
- Multipurpose unit – it circulates the air in the room, cools it, and dehumidifies
What We Dislike
- One of the more expensive options out there
- Some customers have complained that it could have been quieter
A 3-in-1 product you are bound to simply love using, it might take a considerable sum of money to acquire it, but it’s worth every cent considering that in addition to cooling the room, it provides dehumidification capabilities and circulates the air in the room as well.
3. Black+Decker BPACT08WT
To make the summer heat go away in a 150 square feet room, all you need is this Black+Decker product. Easy on the wallet and the eyes, it takes up a small amount of space as it measures only 16 inches by 11 inches by 26 inches. As it weighs only 52.9 pounds and features convenient caster wheels, moving it from one room to another is going to be a breeze. Don’t let the compact design fool you, though, as it provides with 3 useful functions – you can pick the dehumidifier mode when moisture levels are high, the cooling mode when you want to lower the temperature in the room, or you can go for the fan mode if you simply want it to circulate the air inside the room. To ensure an intuitive use, it features a top mounted control panel with LED display where you can change and select the appropriate settings. It comes with 2 functions that add to its operational cost effectiveness, the sleep mode in which you can set it to keep the temperature indoor comfortable without substantial power draw, and the 24-hour timer that you can set as you please to ensure it won’t run longer than needed. In terms of backing, you can rest assured knowing that it is covered for 1 year on parts and labor, while the compressor part is warranted against defects for 5 years.
What We Like
- Features the energy saving 24-hour timer and sleep mode
- Control panel with LED display ensures an intuitive use
- Caster wheels make it easy to move it from room to room
- Filter is washable and reusable – helps save money
What We Dislike
- Some customers find the display lights too bright
- You have to let it stand for 24 hours before you run it
Dependable in the long run, visually pleasing, and able to output the cooling power you need in a small room of up to 150 square feet, the Black+Decker entry makes for a budget-smart option for those who want to effectively battle the hot weather.
4. JHS A016-10KR/B1
The 10000 BTUs it delivers ensure a 220 square foot area will be cooled in no time. Furthermore, there’s the added benefit that it boasts dehumidification capabilities, being able to draw up to 50.7 pints of excess moisture over a 24-hour time span. It even features a 2-speed fan that circulates the air inside the room, all while the washable and reusable dust filter prevents dust from building up inside it and cleans the air of impurities. As it can connect with Amazon Echo, you even have the possibility to control the climate inside the house over your smartphone. To ensure optimal power consumption and give you more control when it comes to its operation, it features a 24-hour timer that lets you decide exactly when it should turn on and off. Design-wise, it’s not only unbelievably appealing and perfect for any décor, but it boasts a compact, lightweight build that redefines the term portable. This is all granted by the fact that it measures a mere 27.5 inches in depth by 14 inches by height by 13.3 inches in width and weighs only 50 pounds. What adds to its portability even further are the two handles that give you a good grip when carrying it, and the caster wheels which let you simply push it gently to change its placement. The automatic evaporation system it boasts exhausts most or all condensate to make your life easier as you won’t have to collect it in a bucket. Additionally, there is a 1-year warranty provided with it that covers defective parts and faulty workmanship.
What We Like
- Can connect with Amazon Echo to allow you to control the home’s climate over your smartphone
- Features all-direction casters and two handles for enhanced portability when moving it
- Fulfills 3 useful functions simultaneously – cools the room, circulates the air, and dehumidifies
- Tool-free installation takes a matter of minutes to be over with
What We Dislike
- Not the most intuitive to use entry in the niche
- Manual is poor in information regarding troubleshooting
Raising the bar when it comes to portability, it not only boasts a compact design and weighs so little that you won’t have trouble moving it on your own, but it comes with other helpful features, including two convenient carrying handles and all-direction caster wheels.
5. Shinco SPF2-08C
Whether you want to use it in the office or at home, the Shinco presents a convenient solution to cool down the atmosphere when the weather gets torrid. It will provide with an optimal performance when used in spaces of up to 350 square feet, the 8000 BTUs it delivers ensuring it won’t take more than 15 minutes for the temperature indoors to feel great. As it is a multi-function model, it won’t only help cool you off, but it will circulate the air at the speed of your choice – 2 fan speeds are put at your disposal – and it will tend to remove excess moisture from the air, up to 60 pints to be precise. Besides boasting quite an aesthetically pleasing design, it measures 14.5 inches by 13.8 inches by 27.2 inches and weighs 46.3 pounds, being safe to call it light, compact, and indeed portable. It uses a self-evaporative cooling technology which cools the coils using water from the air, not only prolonging its own lifespan by doing so, but reducing the amount of water that collects in the tank to make your life easier as you won’t have to empty it too often. It features a modern LED display and lets you intuitively change settings due to the simple selections boasted by the control panel. The full-featured remote control it comes with lets you change settings without getting off of the couch, while the 24-hour timer provides full control over the operational span. Furthermore, the manufacturing company covers it for 1 year on parts and labor, and provides a 3-year warranty for the compressor.
What We Like
- Self-evaporative technology cools the coils using water from the air to prevent them from overheating
- Exhaust hose and window kit are included for a hassle-free installation that won’t take more than 5-10 minutes
- Fulfills multiple functions, including dehumidification
- Produces less than 52 decibels when it runs to not present a nuisance
What We Dislike
- Some customers found the outer shell to be sensitive on impact
- Some customers have complained that the range of the remote control isn’t satisfying
Neatly designed to make it easy for you to move it from room to room and providing sufficient cooling power to keep a small-sized room at the right temperature no matter how hot it is outside, our favorite entry on the list is sure to comply with all of your expectations.
6. Honeywell CS071AE
This entry differs from our previous ones as, instead of pulling excess moisture from the air, it helps to raise humidity levels, which makes it perfect for those who live in areas where moisture is usually at 50% or less. When it comes to its cooling capabilities, you can rest assured knowing that it will make a huge difference in only a matter of minutes, catering perfectly to rooms and spaces of up to 100 square feet. There are 3 speed settings put at your disposal to let you customize its operation as you see fit, and it boasts an energy efficient design that ensures you won’t spend much on the utility bills for running it – low power consumption of only 50 watts. The carbon dust filter it features helps clean the air of impurities while the AC tends to cool the room. The classy design is complemented by the enhanced portability it boasts, measuring only 14.9 inches in width by 9.8 inches in depth by 25.4 inches in height and weighing 12.3 pounds. It even features wheels that add to its mobility, making it even easier for you to move it from room to room when you want to extend its cooling area. Of course, we cannot overlook the timer function it features which lets you program it to turn off after 0.5 to 7.5 hours of continuous operation, a feature that adds to its energy efficiency while giving you better control over it.
What We Like
- Consumes little power to run – only 50 watts
- Automatic louvers for an even cooling of the room
- Features a carbon dust filter that helps remove impurities from the air
- Budget-smart selection – best option for those who are on a budget
What We Dislike
- Some customers find the fan to be annoyingly loud
- Water meter sometimes has issues, which results in overfilling
If you are on a budget yet don’t want to end up spending your money on a poor quality AC, this entry that is perfectly suited for spaces of up to 100 square feet is exactly what you need to look into. Reliable, compact, lightweight, and impressively durable built, it’s worth checking out.
Air conditioners come in all shapes and sizes and provide different capabilities when it comes to the areas they can cover in terms of cooling. However, only a few entries on this market can be called portable from all points of view, boasting compact designs and weighing a few pounds to make it easy for you to move them around. Of course, there’s the aspect of extra features which add to mobility, like handles and caster wheels. If you are looking for this sort of AC, one that will provide effective and rapid cooling in a small-sized area, we are glad you made it here and hope our suggestions helped you make up your mind.
Let’s see what your options are once more before we end to help you more easily decide. Evidently, your ideal pick would be the Haier HPP08XCR as it weighs only 51 pounds while featuring all-direction caster wheels which add to its mobility considerably. Not only this, but it provides a hearty 8000 BTUs to cool areas of up to 215 square feet in no time. Another great option we strongly recommend once again is the Shinco SPF2-08C that made us instantly adore it as it is compact and lightweight, the 46.3 pounds it boasts making it a cinch to relocate it whenever needed, all while boasting the impressive capability to remove up to 60 pints of excess moisture from the air. No matter the model you end up with, we stand behind our choices and are sure that you will be served as expected.