- Updated March 4, 2019
- Posted by: June Spencer
Indoor air quality is plagued not only by the presence of contaminants but by improper humidity levels as well. When low humidity and air purity are the issues you are confronted with, your first reaction would be to separately purchase a humidifier and an air purifier, which would imply larger upfront costs, maintenance costs, and more space occupied. Luckily, this is not necessary as there exist plenty of combo products that combine both functions to keep the air indoors at a perfect humidity level during the dry months of the year, all while tending to the effective removal of all impurities and pollutants that would have otherwise threatened your health.
Top 9 Air Purifier and Humidifier Combo Compared
1. Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster
Offering a unique combination of air treatment technologies in order to ensure indoor air quality as you have never witnessed before, the KC-850U was the inevitable top recommendation. It is reasonably priced considering the fact that it features the latest and most reliable technologies. Design-wise, it boasts a modern aspect which makes it a perfect fit it any space, the clean and modern lines being a great addition to its overall look. It measures only 14.9 inches by 10.5 inches by 23.1 inches, so you won’t have trouble finding a location for it in your home or office. It puts a total of 3 speed settings at your disposal, producing only 51 decibels when on the highest speed setting and 23 decibels when the low setting is selected, which makes it perfect even for use in the bedroom or nursery. It allows you to pick whether you want it to only tend to purify the air or you want it to fulfill this function while also tending to increase humidity levels. Its intelligent design and build have earned it AHAM compliancy. Additionally, it is covered on parts and labor for the first year after the purchase by the manufacturing company.
Air purification and humidity increase
It uses a humidifying filter that has a lifespan of 2 years, so you won’t have to invest in replacing it too often. When it comes to air purification, it employs a dual stage filter system to tackle any and all impurities down to 0.3 microns. The washable deodorizing activated carbon filter has a 5-year lifespan and evidently tends to the removal of unpleasant odors, and the HEPA filter has a 5-year lifespan and is responsible for removing the vast majority of airborne particles, When you opt for the automatic mode, it will automatically adjust fan speed to provide the optimum humidity level while eliminating impurities so that proper air quality is maintained, something you wouldn’t be able to upkeep properly most likely as you wouldn’t constantly monitor environmental conditions.
Mention Worthy Features and Specs
- Features an indicator light that lets you know when the time comes to perform maintenance on the washable filters.
- Automatically detects and displays temperature, humidity, and dust levels to keeps you updated with indoor air quality.
- Able to automatically adjust its operation to ensure optimum humidity and air purity without requiring your interference to change speeds.
- Water tank capacity is 7.7 pints, which ensures that you won’t have to refill it all that often.
- High CADR ratings – 164 for dust, 164 for smoke, and 174 for pollen.
As it is Energy Star certified, there is no need for further explanations to why we consider it to be one of the best selections when it comes to power consumption as this certification is only provided to low energy draw devices. What further impresses when it comes to energy efficiency is the 0.3-watt rating when set on standby.
What We Like
- It is able to handle removing impurities down to 0.3 microns in size
- Active carbon filter is washable and reusable, saving on maintenance costs
- Allows you to pick between two functions – “Clean air” and “Clean air and humidity”
Unsurpassable in terms of reliability, the KC-850U puts at your disposal a highly effective 3-stage filtration process which ensures the complete removal or airborne contaminants, all while tending to fixing low humidity levels. Reasonably priced considering the fact that it uses the latest technologies, it is our top recommendation.
2. Venta LW15 Airwasher
This model might be suited for use in spaces of up to 200 square feet, but if you need a wider area coverage, know that Airwasher has you covered as there are two other options to pick from when it comes to this spec, more precisely a model that can cover up to 400 square feet, and one that can operate in spaces of up to 800 square feet. It is a filter-free model, which means that there won’t be high costs when it comes to maintenance. Due to the fact that it relies on the cold evaporation technology, no white dust will settle on furniture and objects in the room while it tends to increase humidity levels. It features a 1.4-gallon capacity tank that won’t require you to refill it all that often, and it puts at your disposal 2 speed settings to pick between in order to customize its operation to your liking. On the low setting, it produces a mere 22 decibels, while on the high one, it produces 32 decibels. Some of the benefits that come alongside using it include better preservation of furniture pieces, a soothing night’s sleep, creating a safe environment for allergy and asthma sufferers, and enjoying irritant-free air to breathe while indoors. In addition, this product is accompanied by an industry-leading 10-year warranty on parts and labor.
What We Like
- Automatically shuts off when the tank runs out of water to prevent overheating
- Water tank boasts a 1.4-gallon capacity
- Optimum purifying provided in spaces of up to 10 square meters, and optimum dehumidifying in spaces of up to 20 square meters.
What We Dislike
- Not the cheapest option out there
- Some customers complained that its design is fragile
With 3 different options to select between when it comes to area coverage, the Airwasher is a device that tends to humidity increase and air purification in the most discrete and efficient manner possible. It might be on the expensive side, but if you have the budget for it, you won’t regret making this acquisition.
3. Oreck WK15500B
As it combines a 2-stage filtration process with effective ultrasonic humidification, the Oreck ensures proper living conditions without taking up a hefty amount of space or requiring much in the way of maintenance. It might not cover the widest of spaces as it provides optimal performance in areas of up to 115 square feet, but if the room you intend to use it in isn’t larger than this, you certainly have to take it into consideration as it tackles airborne impurities as few other models do due to its HEPA media and charcoal filtration. The active charcoal filter requires replacement only once every 6 months, so maintenance costs aren’t exuberating. When the time does come to tend to filter replacement, the indicator light will announce you in the off-chance that you forget. It is CADR rated 77 and puts a total of 4 speed settings at your disposal. During the humid months of the year, you can opt to turn off the humidification function without giving up of air filtration so that you may enjoy clean air indoors all year long. In addition to boasting a compact design, it provides a quiet operation that makes it optimal for daytime and nighttime use. When it comes to backing, the product is covered by a quite lengthy 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
What We Like
- Filter light indicator announces you when routine maintenance is required
- Features carbon media tends to odor removal
- CADR rated 77 for dust, smoke, and pollen
What We Dislike
- Smaller area coverage as opposed to our other selections
- Some customers complained that the water tank is small
Although it might not cover impressively large areas, if you place it in a space where it can provide its optimal performance, you will be impressed to see just how well the Oreck does in terms of air purification as well as humidity increase.
4. Dreval D-950
Intended for use in spaces of up to 430 square feet, the D-950 keeps perfect environmental conditions indoors by maintaining comfortable humidity levels while tending to the removal of up to 99.97% of airborne impurities it encounters. It employs a 5-stage filtration process to handle clearing the air of contaminants, a process during which it uses a cold catalyst filter, a cellular activated carbon filter, an antimicrobial filter, a negative ion generator, and a HEPA filter. Probably its most spectacular feature, the UV lamp helps eliminate musty odors, prevent the spreading of viruses, and kill bacteria in order to make the air truly 100% safe to breathe. Another mention-worthy feature which accompanies it is the intelligent odor sensor system that indicates the current air quality indoors through differently colored indicators, the color red showing that air quality is poor, orange indicating normal levels, while green indicating that air quality is excellent. This air quality sensor also enables it to operate automatically so that you won’t have to tend to change the operational speed settings. It comes with a remote control that enhances convenience in use by allowing you to switch between settings without moving from your current location in the room. Additionally, it features the useful night mode which keeps the operation ultra-quiet to ensure you won’t be bothered when you are sleeping in case you place it in the bedroom.
What We Like
- Effective filtration ensures that approximately 99.9% of airborne impurities will be removed
- Rated power humidification is 20 watts, while rated power purification is 45 watts
- Comes with a remote control that increases ease of use
What We Dislike
- Some customers have complained regarding the small size of the water tank
- Some customers reported that it sometimes outputs a weird smell
With the D-950, you won’t have to worry about allergens, dust, or any other types of airborne pollutants as it will tend to their removal with its 5 layers of air filtration, while the humidifier function keeps humidity at its peak so that you enjoy a healthy habitat to live in thanks to it.
5. Boneco Air Washer 2055A
Perfect for use year-round due to its 2-in-1 design, it provides air cleaning and moisturizing while maintaining an utterly quiet operation, producing less than 25 decibels when it runs so that you may place it even where you sleep without it being a nuisance. It can release up to 3 gallons of moisture into the air per day, and as it uses humidifier discs, it not only raises moisture, but it ensures cleaner air as the discs will turn through the water to remove any impurities that reside in it. These discs never require replacement, but rather that you only wash them when needed. It features a neat fragrance container where you can place essential oils to enjoy relaxing scented humidification. To enjoy a peak performance on its part, you should use it in spaces of up to 600 square feet. It consumes little power when it runs, so you can operate it for as long as you want without worrying about the utility bills. When the tank empties of water or when it is removed, to prevent overheating, it automatically shuts off. In terms of design, it’s quite appealing as it is lightweight and compact – it measures 14.2” by 14.2” by 14.2”, and weighs only 13 pounds. Lastly, we must mention that it is accompanied by a 5-year warranty on parts and labor, which exceeds industry standard.
What We Like
- You can add essential oils in its fragrance tray to enjoy aromatherapy
- Automatically turns off when the tank is empty or you remove it
- Easy to clean and maintain
What We Dislike
- Water tends to run out fast
- Some customers reported that it started leaking after a few months of use
Providing you with scented humidification so that you may relax and soothe your senses while it tends to clean the air of impurities and raise humidity, it makes for a great addition to any room in your home, especially considering that it produces only 25 decibels when it runs.
6. Boneco W200
The self-regulating evaporation principle the W200 uses makes it reliable when it comes to effective moisture increase and air filtration as it traps impurities and releases clean mist into the air. What makes it so effective is the specially textured evaporator mat it utilizes, ensuring clean air without the need for additives or harmful technologies. It provides two performance levels to pick between at the simple turn of a switch. It is able to release up to 2.2 gallons of moisture per day into the air, and when its water tank is emptied the LED display lighting up to announce you of the occurrence so that you know when routine maintenance is required of you. Maintenance is further enhanced in terms of convenience by the fact that it features parts which are washing machine and dishwasher safe, more precisely the base and the evaporation elements. The direct filling of the water base is another mention-worthy aspect as it grants you with convenient handling of the device. In order to prevent overheating, it automatically turns off when the tank is out of water until you refill it. It maintains a quiet operation throughout, so it won’t present a nuisance if you use it in the bedroom or office. Additionally, the warranty agreement for the product is 5 years long, which indicates durability and reliability.
What We Like
- Humidity output of 2.2 gallons per day to fix moisture levels indoors
- Features components that are washing machine and dishwasher safe
- When the water tank is empty, the LED display lights up to let you know and refill it
What We Dislike
- Not as feature-rich as other entries on this market
- Some customers complained that it could have held more water
As it is able to output up to 2.2 gallons of moisture in the air per day and features reliable filtration media, you can rely on it to upkeep indoor air quality at an optimum, while the low noise output allows you to use it in any room of the house at all times of the day.
What stands out first is definitely the modern design it boasts, the OPOLAR being a worthy addition to any décor. It comes at a very cheap price as opposed to most entries in this niche, which is a definite plus as it appeals to a wider range of customers. A design element you are sure to enjoy is the touch-sensitive LED display that grants convenient, intuitive use. Perfect for small and medium-sized spaces, it comes with a 0.8-gallon capacity tank that won’t require refilling all that often. The honeycomb design ensures dust and mineral deposits won’t be released into the air as it works on raising humidity levels. Furthermore, it features the useful ionizing function that rids the air of impurities to ensure a truly safe environment to be in. It boasts an energy efficient profile granted by the timer feature it comes with, a feature that allows you to set it to automatically turn off after 2, 4, or 8 hours of continuous operation so that you cut on energy costs. Additionally, it produces little noise when it runs, which means that you can place it in the room you sleep or work in without it becoming a nuisance.
What We Like
- Comes at a very appealing price
- Filter is reusable – just clean it using water when needed
- Large 0.8-gallon capacity of the water tank
What We Dislike
- Not the most impressive area coverage
- 3-peg design is a bit odd
It might lack in some departments, but the healthy moisture it outputs and the fact that it effectively rids the air of allergens and impurities, alongside the reasonable asking price make it a worthwhile acquisition.
8. Klarstein Monaco
In terms of design, we must admit this is one of the most gorgeous entries we have stumbled upon, its black finish and the blue LED making it a perfect match in any modern décor. It measures 8.9 inches by 13.2 inches by 7.7 inches and weighs only 4.2 pounds, so you won’t have trouble relocating it when needed or finding a good spot to place it. It is recommended for use in areas of up to 40 square meters, and you can even program it to run for a limited amount of time due to its 12-hour programmable timer. For enhanced convenience in use, it features the automatic function which ensures it will change the settings on its own as needed to preserve a healthy living environment, featuring intelligent humidity regulation which grants it this amazing capability. The high-end ultrasonic technology it employs makes it capable of releasing 180-400 milliliters of cool mist into the air per hour. When it comes to its air purification capabilities, as it features the ionizer function, it will not only ensure an airborne contaminant-free environment, but one where no foul odors exist either as it will break them down. Of course, we cannot end without mentioning the convenient remote control it comes with as it allows you to change operational settings from afar.
What We Like
- Comes with a remote control which adds to the convenience of using it
- 12-hour timer allows optimum control over it
- Features intelligent humidity regulation to provide an automatic operation
What We Dislike
- It isn’t the quietest device you will stumble upon
- It doesn’t boast a build as durable as other models do
Feature-rich and ensuring a truly healthy environment to live in as it not only raises humidity but purifies the air as well, it is a modernly designed device that should be present in all households.
9. Beurer LW110
We start off with the negatives as these can be concluded in only a few words – it is not one of the most feature-rich entries on the market, so don’t expect it to be as spectacular as our previous entries. However, it does come at a reasonable price and boasts quite an impressive resistance to the test of time which is backed by the lifetime warranty it comes with. In terms of performance, you can rely on it to simultaneously raise indoor humidity while keeping the air clean and safe for you to breathe as it is a 2-in-1 device. Due to its filter-free design, you won’t have to spend money on costly filter replacement every few months, and upkeep won’t be too big of a hassle either. The backlit LCD provides an intuitive operation and keeps you updated with current indoor conditions. There are 3 fan speeds you can pick from, a water level indicator that keeps you updated regarding when you need to fill it with water, and it turns off if you forget to do so and the water depletes.
What We Like
- Lack of filter for easier and cheaper maintenance
- Features a useful blue illuminated LCD display where settings and stats are displayed
- Energy efficient operation
What We Dislike
- Lacks a lot of interesting features
- Construction seems cheap, not your most durable option
It might not be the most impressive entry out there, but it’s one worth taking into consideration as it does indeed do a great job at purifying the air and raising humidity levels. Thus, the fact that it doesn’t come with as many features as some of the other entries do should not be seen as too big of a downside.
How Indoor Air Quality Could Affect Your Health
We rely on devices like the air purifier humidifier combo to fix indoor air quality, but what exactly is it that we have to fear when it comes to the air we breathe while we are in the comfort of our own homes? Surprising enough, the air indoors can prove, at most times, to be more polluted than the air outdoors, and opening up the windows to “clear” pollutants isn’t a solution as you are actually inviting more contaminants indoors. Of course, air quality doesn’t end with the presence of pollutants as there is the aspect of humidity to worry about as well, high humidity creating a perfect environment for the growth and spreading of mold and mildew, while low humidity exposes inhabitants to higher risk of getting colds and sinus irritations.
There are various aspects to take into consideration when it comes to your health and well-being when you are at home or at the office, enclosed spaces that are more dangerous than they seem. Some of the health-threatening issues related to poor air quality, whether we are talking about pollution or improper humidity, include:
- Lung cancer: Exposure to an array of carcinogenic pollutants present in the air indoors is at fault for approximately 17% of lung cancer deaths, risks being higher for women due to their higher involvement in the food preparation process.
- Pneumonia: The likelihood of developing pneumonia is almost doubled by the presence of indoor air pollutants, the toxic environment being to blame for a staggering 45% of infant deaths related to pneumonia.
- Allergies: When indoor air is filled with pollutants, among them could be present allergens that, in sensitive individuals, trigger allergies. The symptoms of allergic reactions include coughing, wheezing, rashes, chest tightness, watering eyes, vomiting, swollen lips, tongue, face, or eyes, and shortness of breath.
- Asthma: For asthmatics, improper air quality could lead to often and severe asthma attacks that endanger their lives.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: One of the causes main for COPD in both men and women is exposure to high levels of indoor smoke.
- Skin irritations: Cold temperatures, in combination with low moisture in the air, cause the skin to become dry, itchy, and scaly, potentially leading to health issues like eczemas. As the skin cracks, it could even host dangerous pathogens and lead to more severe skin health issues.
- Eye irritations: Low humidity causes the rapid evaporation of tear which, in turn, disrupts the moisture balance that keeps the eye surface healthy and comfortable. Thus, you will feel your eyes itchy and irritated.
A budget-smart solution to keeping the air indoors at proper humidity levels and free of pollution, the combo device should be present in every modern household as it provides two necessary functionalities in the same housing. The overall best pick you could go for if your budget allows it is definitely the Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster, an extremely quiet model that silently tends to remove over 99% of airborne pollutants while maintaining proper humidity levels, all while consuming little energy while it operates. A more budget-friendly option would be the Boneco W200 that, in addition to providing the two aforementioned functionalities, can be used as a fragrance dispenser to delight your senses and relax you when you are at home. The legacy of another appreciated combo product, the Dreval D-950 ups its predecessor and ranks high in our top as it sterilizes the air thoroughly, ensuring that bacteria and viruses won’t ever present a threat to your health while you are at home. Overall, regardless of the pick that you end up making, what is certain is that you will benefit from actual air purity if you opt for any of our selections.